Engine stall over ~ 3500 rpm only at half full tank ?

chrisu02

Hello guy,

having a little issue with a friends GTI-R (LHD ~ 50k km)
The issue is that whenever the tank is below about half full and you accelerate when you rev over 3500rpm there is a large loss of power like no fuel will be injected anymore, but when the rpm is at about 3000 it does run normal again.
This does not appear when the tank is then made full again, and also does not appear again until it is below ~ 50% .

The Pump seems to be fine, the lines and solenoid at the tank also, so its somehow difficult to track down the issue.
Has someone heard of such an issue or may a hint at what direction we should search ?

Sincerely Chri

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is the pump fitted in the tank correctly?
Could it be something else like an air leak?

chrisu02

Is the pump fitted in the tank correctly?
Could it be something else like an air leak?
Hy,

The pump was never removed before, but it was out for check was looking fine and installed again properly.
Don`t understand what airleak exactly could be ?

sincerely Chri

Cathode

air-leak, vacuum leak. I would have changed the pump just to be sure to completely cancel out the possibility and move on from there.

chrisu02

air-leak, vacuum leak. I would have changed the pump just to be sure to completely cancel out the possibility and move on from there.
Ah ok, yes already thought about just replacing it, but it seems the original is not available anymore.
I also read here and at FB what other pumps people do install, but it seems pretty everyone is installing a different pump, i haven't figured out which one will fit plug&play without need to adapt it or to route new power-wires because the original seem to bee too weak for most tuning pumps :(

sincerely Chri

Cathode

i think most people go for the walbro 255 if you're not going to run stupid power. i don't think it's plug and play but they are popular.
There's a post on here in General - fuel pumps - how to fit walbro 255 if you're interested. of course, you could just throw in the towel and have someone else do it at a cost just for the peace of mind and less stress. Money willing of course.

chrisu02

i think most people go for the walbro 255 if you're not going to run stupid power. i don't think it's plug and play but they are popular.
There's a post on here in General - fuel pumps - how to fit walbro 255 if you're interested. of course, you could just throw in the towel and have someone else do it at a cost just for the peace of mind and less stress. Money willing of course.
Yes i know that guide, unfortunately the images are not shown anymore, also the gtiroc link within that thread does not work anymore.

but maybe with the text we'll get it replaced, i hope the power line is large enough to not have the car get in flames then :D

sincerely Chri