engine revving on its own

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
looks clear plastic to me, poss an old pipe?
It looks a bit like the shrink wrap you might get on the top of something... or like a plastic bag used to block the pipework when the turbo/exhaust manifold was off.

P

pulsarboby

going by the burnt colour i would say its a bit of foil heatwrap, cellotape or something.
youll probably find it dropped down turbo outlet pipe or maybe even off pipe going to plenum if you lagged it, so it wouldnt have gone through turbo hopefully.

reminds me of a little story:lol:
a mate of mine a year or so back that had/has an r32 and wanted some bigger turbos fitted to replace the ceramic oe ones.
i gave him a price to fit them and he turned round and said, 'robbing bastard,how hard can it be' :shock: and that he would save himself some wedge and do it himself, so i said yeah have a crack at it ya tight bastad lol
anyway he did the job and bought the car round to me to take for a blast a week later......whilst he was driving it(thankfully), telling me how fast it now was and of his expertise in being a new found mechanic and how all mechanics were highway robbers...........there was an almighty crack from under the bonnet and smoke billowing everywhere.
the sick look on his face was a picture which il never forget lol. he said what the fcuk was that!!! and i turned to him and said 'you tell me your the mechanic:lol:
anyway he asked me if i would take a look at it for him but we never had time and tbh i didnt wanna get involved in it so he ended up taking the car into rk tuning.
they pulled the turbos off only to discover that a stubby 10mm spanner had been left in the pipe and had gone right through the turbos and smashed them to pieces and all the bits ended up in his cylinders and caused them to be scored too so his cheapskate get out ended up in more or less a rebuild.

he never told me how much wedge it cost him to get sorted but it was at least the price of a good forged R with a quaife:lol:

Buckym120

right pulled the object out of the throttle tonight and it appears to be some form of foil, now although i'm not certain, i've never seen anything like this on the car or with any packaging from the parts i have installed/replaced. My engine is completely standard apart from a pace front mount. Could it be some of the internals of the intercooler?? the ends appear smooth/straight so fairly confident no other bits have ripped off and are still circulating around the inlet/head/engine.

Its about 3" long, has a corregated appearance and is a ragid foil material (so would have done some serious damage)

Got all the car back together and it didnt sound good when first started, unplgged the battery for 10 minutes and tried again. Left running for 5 minutes and then went for a drive as the idle was hunting around a bit. long story short after 15-20 minutes the car began to idle as before with the turbo hitting near 7mmgh on the standard boost gauge and the brakes are fine.

So hopefully i've been a very, very lucky boy, although i've not idea what this object it or how its got there. One thing i do know is that i'm double checking all pipes if i work on the car again

bensmith907

Looks like Speed tape to me. Is it sticky as hell on one side (maybe not anymore). Used on aircraft to temp repair aerodynamic surfaces or to stop water ingress. I would describe it a (normally) 1" wide very thick tinfoil that's really sticky one side and very smooth the other and quite sharp to handle.
My car is virtualy held together by the stuff.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I would describe it a (normally) 1" wide very thick tinfoil that's really sticky one side and very smooth the other and quite sharp to handle.
You can get it much wider than that as it can be a temp repair for small holes.

JIMMYBACK

going by the burnt colour i would say its a bit of foil heatwrap, cellotape or something.
youll probably find it dropped down turbo outlet pipe or maybe even off pipe going to plenum if you lagged it, so it wouldnt have gone through turbo hopefully.

reminds me of a little story:lol:
a mate of mine a year or so back that had/has an r32 and wanted some bigger turbos fitted to replace the ceramic oe ones.
i gave him a price to fit them and he turned round and said, 'robbing bastard,how hard can it be' :shock: and that he would save himself some wedge and do it himself, so i said yeah have a crack at it ya tight bastad lol
anyway he did the job and bought the car round to me to take for a blast a week later......whilst he was driving it(thankfully), telling me how fast it now was and of his expertise in being a new found mechanic and how all mechanics were highway robbers...........there was an almighty crack from under the bonnet and smoke billowing everywhere.
the sick look on his face was a picture which il never forget lol. he said what the fcuk was that!!! and i turned to him and said 'you tell me your the mechanic:lol:
anyway he asked me if i would take a look at it for him but we never had time and tbh i didnt wanna get involved in it so he ended up taking the car into rk tuning.
they pulled the turbos off only to discover that a stubby 10mm spanner had been left in the pipe and had gone right through the turbos and smashed them to pieces and all the bits ended up in his cylinders and caused them to be scored too so his cheapskate get out ended up in more or less a rebuild.

he never told me how much wedge it cost him to get sorted but it was at least the price of a good forged R with a quaife:lol:

i know that story only too well, He did make me Laugh lolol

Buckym120

Looks like Speed tape to me. Is it sticky as hell on one side (maybe not anymore). Used on aircraft to temp repair aerodynamic surfaces or to stop water ingress. I would describe it a (normally) 1" wide very thick tinfoil that's really sticky one side and very smooth the other and quite sharp to handle.
No nothing has been powder coated on the car.

With regards to the foil, both sides appear identical so don't believe it to be a tape of any form and can't feel any sticky substance on there any more.

Brakes and idle are now fine, so will be doing a compression test over the weekend for peace of mind.

Anyone know where I can get the intercooler pressure test to make sure, firstly there are no obstructions and secondly it isn't leaking?