Engine is back in and now more problems

gazgstar

So my engine has finally been rebuilt and back in the car but now it's running so rich that it is struggling just to idle! The only things that been messed around with are all the vacums going to the actuator,dump valve and also the hoses that are for the boost controller! Today while having it tick over and checking everything the car must have used a gallon of petrol in about 10mins! Any help would really be great guys,really anxious to get this back on road now

gazgstar

Ok guys did a fault check today and came up with a 12 and 34, and to add the problems I know have movemont on the turbo, which has come from nowhere because everything was fine when it was all took off! Basically what the car is doing is running as rich as you could imagine and very lumpy. When I start the car with afm connected it runs for about 10 secs then cuts outs! Any ideas what to do next?

John

12 AFM circuit
34 Detonation sensor circuit

So your AFM and Det sensor seem to be the issue, check and replace and go from there.

vss irvine

could be the wiring thats damaged, would make sense since you've been in at them.

why did you take the engine out anyway?

gazgstar

could be the wiring thats damaged, would make sense since you've been in at them.

why did you take the engine out anyway?
I had a crack in number 4 piston so it was out to get rebuilt. Been lookin at the main harness and can't see any obvoius problems with it, might have to just change the afm and det sensor and see wot difference it makes to it. Has anyone ever had issues with the car suddenly goin so rich like this?

vss irvine

thats a good reason to take it out.

have you looked at the det sensor plug? is it connected properly?

gazgstar

thats a good reason to take it out.

have you looked at the det sensor plug? is it connected properly?
Is the det the one that's in behind the inlet manifold? If it is then from what I can feel from behind there is that it's all connected up. The car was seemed to be runnin fine a few days ago, then we moved it out the garage to get another car out and when we put in bk in and on the ramps all the problems started

Braveheart

I found the DET problem was intermitant but the sensor was nacked. Car ran rich but not at the level you have described. It ran limp and back fired due to the ingnition timing being retarded (safe mode) Haveing AFM and DET errors could explain your problems though.

gazgstar

I found the DET problem was intermitant but the sensor was nacked. Car ran rich but not at the level you have described. It ran limp and back fired due to the ingnition timing being retarded (safe mode) Haveing AFM and DET errors could explain your problems though.

so in theory when the det goes it would run quite rich but in this case because the afm could be knackd aswell then it's running even richer? What's the best way to going about changing the det, because there's not much room to get in behind the inlet?

gazgstar

Ok guys finally got round to changing the det and afm and the problems just seem to continue:(! After changing those 2 parts we managed to get the car ticking over what seemed perfectly with a fault code check showing code 55, so seemed all good until we took it on the first road test and all we seemed to get was constant stuttering as you try go through the revs! Then we started to notice some more puffs of blue smoke, so checked the turbo pipes for oil but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of oil lyin around in them..not enough to make us think its turbo smoke, any ideas on what to try next with it?

P

pulsarboby

compression test it, if its been running really rich itll borewash the cylinders and could result in a major problem.
if readings come back good
then check following if black smoke:

injectors (spray pattern, sticking etc)
dodgy fpr
weak ignition circuit can cause over rich running so check spark with kv meter or similar
boost or vacuum leaks is another common prob
incorrect ignition or engine timing could be another cause

everything else should be covered by fault codes but if all clear then check above

gazgstar

thanks bob I'll give it a go over the weekend! Would running really rich cause the blue smoke? would have thought running rich would give black smoke as thats what I was geting when the afm and det codes were appearing on the fault check

M

milly

hi mate,i had a similar problem a few years back with a E30 325i sport after doing an engine transplant.it turned out that i`d plugged the cold start valve plug to the water temp sensor and vise versa. so the car was thinking it was -40 or something and chucking boat loads of fuel into the engine.i`m not even sure you can make the same mistake on a pulsar but i do understand how your feeling and there`s nothing worse,good luck mate hope you get it sorted

stevie leese

just try running a seperate earth to the afm plug. i had a similar prob a couple of years ago. bad earth. after i had replaced the afm of corse. steve