engine check light came on for about 2-3 secondes???

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you done a fault code check?

I'd take a punt that either your alternator or battery is on the way out, but obviously if it throws-up a fault code you'd start there. - Most likely the alternator, and the issue is the charging voltage dropping with low engine speed.

That's my idea anyway.

thanks pobody for reply umm fault code number 11 every now and then been like it for a while but never had the light on before so mybe as you say battery or alternator but surly the battery light would come up insted off check light??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It should, but it might be one of those things where if the battery still has voltage the battery light does come on, but the ECU still gets confused by the drop in voltage?

I'm trying to remember what happened when mine died, and I'm pretty sure the <check engine> light came on first... then the battery one... then it died completely. - That was an accelerated process though because it was night and it was also cold and raining; so lights, fan, and wipers all going at the same time.

Fusion Ed

ECU doesn't complain about voltage.

ECU light pretty much only comes on if the ECU has a hardware crash/failure. Possibly also knock related, but only read that never seen it happen, so really rare. I don't know of any other fault that makes it come on.

bensmith907

It will flicker on and off if you do a fault code check and don't turn off the car after. Its the built in fuel mixture test on the ecu and is nothing to worry about if that is your problem.

I always whenever I do a fault code check- turn off the ignition, remove key, lock car, unlock car start engine and drive.

Good luck

thanks problem solved well this problem anyway it was the fact that i did a fault code check before hand as i re did it and went for drive and it did it again

Fusion Ed

good point ben, Forgot to mention that as I never use the inbuilt functions.. Its a good one though for testing O2 sensor.

bensmith907

Something I've been meaning to do for a while now but I suppose you can only check your O2 sensor if you know your mixture is bang on though and vica versa.