Emissions result with a Mongoose fitted. INFO

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
92J reg

Just had my MOT today and the emissions with a turbo back Mongoose fitted (incl cat replacement) were

CO = 0.39%
HC = 84ppm

So the Goose shouldn't be a worry for your test emissions. If you fail, it'll more likely be the fuel system playing up somewhere.

A

Anonymous

Thats all right if you reg is before aug 1st 92, But mine is sep 92"K" so it will have to be under 0.30 CO%. Saying that it passed last time with ease. :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could always stick the cat back on for the test. Bit of a pain, but should sort those who need it. :wink:

sypher

can i ask mine was regestered in 1999 i think this is when i was originally brought here but my rg is a J... does my car req' a ''cat'' test

opinions please

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's a j reg it only needs to get below 3.5% CO

Registered in 1999? do you mean you bought it in 1999? Cos the newest ones I've seen are Rand S reg and that's before 1999.

sypher

think so the V5 reads '' date of reg' 16 03 1999'' but its a J.. i wondered if my emmision test req' a compulsory cat test inc fast idle, cat stabilisation and natural idle coz if it doesn't no cat WOOHOO especially with the police up here starting to road side emmision check cars as i could see that happening on the way to crail

J

jasegould

I think I am right in saying this............................... :? but I could be wrong...

When they do a MoT emissions test, if a car fails the BET test (basic emissions test) they then have to select the vehicle and appropriate engine code from the computer database before they can do a full test. The database only lists cars sold within the UK, so does not include Pulsar GTIR, starlet Turbo etc etc so they have to select a default setting before they can carry on with the test, the good part is that this default setting is the same as pre 1992 cars (3.5%co?)...so in theory, for example, a 2001 jap/usa/australian import that is not on the database can pass at 3.5% CO :D
My brothers scooby was a k reg, but they werent imported till after k so it wasnt on the database so it passd wothout the cat.
Whether or not the tester wants to be an arse and argue this or just select a similar car is another matter tho :x

jonee

gas tests

duncan,i have pmed you all the info that you require.
if you want to re post it please be my quest
cheers m8 :)

MarkTurbo

Mines a 93 K with a de catted mongoose system.

It was way over the 0.3 % co limit :? Probably cos i couldn't be bothered to put the cat back on :roll:

Still passed though :wink:

A

Anonymous

cat converter

hey,
I have a 94 M plate and i am trying to find out if i need a cat or not to pass my mot?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Re: cat converter

Whitey said:
hey,
I have a 94 M plate and i am trying to find out if i need a cat or not to pass my mot?
You should have a cat fitted by law, but the cat replacement looks like the cat so they won't know any different unless you do fail on the emissions. The emission levels are alot tighter for K reg onwards. :( You could always put it through with no cat and keep your finger crossed. It shouldn't be to hard to stick the cat back on if need be.

A

Anonymous

hey,

I'm currently looking for a new exhaust system, but i dont know wot to go for, i was thinking about a mongoose full system but dont know if its any good or not? also would i be better getting an HKS, GREEDY, BLITZ Etc?

Does the mongoose full system supply a new cat?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers kev.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, the monogoose is a turbo back system ie downpipes to tail pipe. It's abit loud, but just putting that and and apexi induction kit on got me 19bhp.