ECU and injectors - gems or apexi

PaulB

Howdy fellas,
Im looking to take my car onto another level, currently, filter exhaust, FMIC, walbro, NGK`s.

Gonna look at at GT2871R turbo, 550cc injectors and an ECU to manage it all.

Ive got the chance to get hold of a GEMS ecu, not sure if its anygood, or should i just go with a apexi power FC and commander (£395?).

Not too sure which direction to head in, looking for 350bhp safely. Im tryin to search on unichips etc but it aint makin any sense :der:

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

rayman75

if you can get a powerfc and commader for that price i would snapp it up straight away.

what your looking at you should see that sort of power no probs.

PaulB

emanage blue do the fuelling and boost t hen, or will i need a boost controller too ?
already got a manual hks jobbie!

seasider R

paulb81 said:
emanage blue do the fuelling and boost t hen, or will i need a boost controller too ?
already got a manual hks jobbie!
You`ll need a boost controller too...i have an e-manage blue for sale...£160+p&p.

Fusion Ed

There are lots to choose from, at the cheaper end is the Profec B SpecII, or the expensive end Apexi AVC-R. They all seem to do about as good job as each other controlling the boost.

C

crash bandit

I have got myself a Unichip. Going to get it fitted in January at Noble motorsport. You will also need........ boost module £110+ vat. This gives the chip even more control.
Noble are going to charge me £300+ vat to install everything and rolling road tune.
I think the unichip has built in.... shift light, boost controller and is good for about 350 bhp. Noble have had alot of experiance fitting these to Pulsars.

PaulB

great,
im thinking emanage and a blitz SBC, but if the unchip controls the boost aswell then s its worthwhile getting it setup with that.

mattygti-r

crash bandit said:
I have got myself a Unichip. Going to get it fitted in January at Noble motorsport. You will also need........ boost module £110+ vat. This gives the chip even more control.
Noble are going to charge me £300+ vat to install everything and rolling road tune.
I think the unichip has built in.... shift light, boost controller and is good for about 350 bhp. Noble have had alot of experiance fitting these to Pulsars.
i think your wasting your money

emanage £160ish

get ed to map it

and a decent boost controller hks evc 4 around 100 quid

i really cant believe that people still use the apexi avcr like its some kind of gold standard in boost controllers

the majority of people on here use 1bar -1.2 a HKS EVC 3 or 4 or blitz sbc or anything like that is just as good as an avcr

oh no wait i forgot its not "flashy" and "chavy" you you can show your mates

C

crash bandit

Exactly, I have a Powertek manual boost controller set at 1 bar and it hits it each and every time. As for people saying they can set them up without rolling roads , well... you take the chance.
The only down side to the Unichip is the initial cost, but once set up should be as good as any Apexi, greddy etc etc.

stumo

Why not just use a dawes device, about 30 quid.

i've checked the boost against a large 4 inch 30psi gauge (ie sensitive) and it's worked faultlessly (car was running 17psi at the time) with a very occasional 1/2 psi spike as the turbo came on song.

C

crash bandit

if you want to waste £160 to be one of the boys thats your choice, my £30 dawes MBC works fine, every time !!!

mattygti-r

i woudlnt control any car on a dawes device,

why dont people on this forum do things properly and spend some money doing things right.

always trying to do the "cheapest" option

Fusion Ed

A Dawes device cannot show you boost, peak boost, or alert you to something going wrong, etc etc.. For the simplicity a Dawes device is right up there, but they are expensive considering what they are made of imo.

Unichips seems to work well, but its a very restricted system compared to the e-manage. I dont think they have injector inferfaces like the basic blue does so your mapping the car alone on air flow which whilst is ok, your also going to be altering the ignition timing (which is based on airflow and rpm)..

PaulB

just gonna get something i can set and hide away, not interested in having some daft blue screen in my face.

DanDud

Iv not had any problems with my dawes device, no flashy screens to distract you, just set it up with a nice big sensitive gauge as stu said and leave it, get a separate boost gauge to keep an eye on it.

Hits and holds 16PSI fine every time, and very occasionally it will spike to 17psi when building up boost but drops back to 16 instantly. Saves you £100 on a flashy screen and being able to adjust it from inside the car but if it does the job just as good as a HKS, Apexi etc then id rather have the cash.