Dump Valve

L

Leecarmichaeluk

How loud is my dump valve ment to be , i bought one a wee while back there and put it and it does not dump if i rev it on idle, do you have to give it big revs to get it to dump? and also it sounds like wastegate chatter when it goes off ? any ideas guys :?

Best bet is to get a sound level meter, sit in your garage and rev your Pulsar to the limiter. Keep your foot flat on the floor for at least a minute (more if you have understanding neighbours), then let your foot off the accellerator in a quick 'snapping' motion.

The dump valve should go off and read 102.4db exactly. Any less than that and you want a refund. Any more than that and you can sue the manufacturers of said valve under the trade descriptions act.

Any more stupid questions? :D

gtir bean

when your driving it should dump whenyour running boost.you will strugle to make it dump much by reving it on the spot.

L

Leecarmichaeluk

Major_Sarcasm vbmenu_register("postmenu_255960", true); << well i understand why you called your self that! thanks for that waste of web space and you must have alot of free time to have thought that up

Cheers GTIR Beam for the info , i think i have connected it up right , maybe it will be better once i am running 1bar

I

inferno

you wont get much boost pressure unless the cars under load;)

my 22psi fiesta turbo only wheezes on the spot, but scares kiddies off the pavement when driving normally donw the high street ;)

ps the ford IS gay and it IS about to be broken into small peices in faver of R power:p

L

Leecarmichaeluk

the way i connected it up was i plugged the pipe coming from the air filter with a bung and then took the huge pipe that goes to the inlet manifold and put it onto the dump valve and then put the wee vaccum pipe on top. the thing i find strange is that normally on my other cars i have taking a main feed from the intercooler piping because i thought the idea was to release the presure from that side of the system to stop the turbo being stalled? but if it is where i have put it on the other side of the throttle butterfly then that would be closing and the other side would still be full of boost??
could it be this thats causing the lack of dump? i mean all i seem to get is a flutter. my old starlet turbo used to be really loud when dumping

It sounds like you have connected it up right, which dump valve do you have? If you're running standard boost it may not be that loud. Are you sure you aren't leaking boost from somewhere else?

L

Leecarmichaeluk

its just a diaphram dump valve i got from ebay , it seems to be running the right boost , 0.7bar and its not losing any as far as i am aware.

rossdj1983

Leecarmichaeluk said:
its just a diaphram dump valve i got from ebay , it seems to be running the right boost , 0.7bar and its not losing any as far as i am aware.
you get what you pay for of there mate

L

Leecarmichaeluk

i have been out in car tonight and i was watching both boost gauges the standard one and the aftermarket one, the standard one goes to only 0.5bar and the aftermarket one goes to 0.4 not even above the 0.5 on that gauge? when i took the intercooler off there was some oil inside the intercooler piping not alot and it does not smoke when driving. what is going on , this would probably be why its not a dumping loud because the pressure is almost at nothing
any ideas and things to check?

rossdj1983

ive had trcaes of old oil in the piping, been told this is sometimes normal if its not to eccessive, how was it boosting before you put the d/valve on?

The 2 may not be connected, it's 'normal' to get a small amount of oil in the intercooler pipework as the stock oil seperator isn't up to much. The fact it's only making 0.4 bar boost is probably why it's not dumping, how does the car feel to drive? Do you have a boost controller? was it ok before you fitted the dump valve? If so I would be inclined to say it's the dumpvalve leaking...

A

AJ4

why not just fit one of those dump valve noise makers ? You can get them for Corsas and Novas, I'm sure they would work on a Pulsar as well 8)

L

Leecarmichaeluk

it was boosting the same before i fitted the D/V , i dont have a boost controller on the car its all standard apart from a decatted pipe and backbox. The car seems ok to drive, fairly fast but does feel like there should be a bigger pull.