Do I need to replace head bolts?

Just rebuildin and took it for granted that I could re-use my head bolts.
Just Wanna confirm that they're not stretch bolts that need replacin?
Thanx, Ben

MarkTurbo

They're not stretch bolts and you can re use them as long as they are within the measurements in the service manual :wink:

But you're better off with new ones.

Mr GTiR

MarkTurbo said:
They're not stretch bolts and you can re use them as long as they are within the measurements in the service manual :wink:
For how long they have been in the car and the amount they cost for new ones, your better off getting new ones.

Ben, if your thinking of running big boost then get some head studs fitted :wink:

na wasn't thinking of major power at all.
Just that i'm pretty much rebuilt, bar a couple of oil squirters :oops: , and had forgot to consider, and therefore, order these.
If its not essential I prob won't replace them as its pretty much together.
Should've considered this earlier, D'oh :!:

J

jiw

if you re-torque the bolts they should be fine as they will just wind into the block slightly deeper, probably about all of 20 thou, i have never replaced a bolt due to it apparently stretching and certainly have not had a problem after re-using bolts, thats even on industrial pumps where we have a hydraulic stretcher to stretch the studs before tightening the nuts up, just re-use them and make sure you check the torque after say 100 miles as the gasket will bed down, jeff

MarkTurbo

Like everyone says you probably are better off with new ones.

I re used mine when i put my hks headgasket on and that was over 2 years ago now :lol:

J

jiw

id say that theirs less chance of the old ones stretching as if they have been on the car for the past 14 years they have stretched as far as they will at that kind of torque setting, jeff

GINGA

The head bolts should be ok to reuse but do you really want to risk it for the sake of £50 :?: make sure you replace the rod bolts though that is a must :!: preferably with arp one's

yeah already replaced rod bolts with arp's.
its not the money thats a concern it more of an 'oops bit late now'
Gonna run it as it is and then go from there.
Check everythings ok and if I decide its better to replace will do so.
Cheers for ya help, Ben

Mr GTiR

The only problem with that Ben is the head gasket. Once a hundered miles have been put through it, that's it.

Mr GTiR

what i mean is that once a head has been clamped down and after about 100 miles a uprtaed metal head gasket can't be re-used.