Do I need remap with new but same t28 fitted?

NISR227

Just got a T28 (with 360bearing) fitted to the R (yes I know its borring but I have no intention of running more bhp!). It was mapped on 1.2bar (322bhp at Noble) about 18 months when the standard turbo was running fine.

It gave up the ghost recently and I just want to know if I have to go to the expense of remapping the Unchipping at 1.2bar again with the new t28 for what should be pushing the same about of air/fuel anyway when the standard turbo was running fine.

I will be running a rather slow 0.5bar until I know its ok?

Anyone?

Last edited:

youngsyp

I would have thought the map you have now, would be able to compensate for the small (if any) difference in induced air the new (but same) turbo would make !

I guess the only way to be sure though is to get it on a dyno and have it checked !!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do you know why it gave up the ghost, so you don't fit a new one and have it go the same way.

(blocked oil feed/drain etc)

NISR227

Well gave up the ghost is probably wrong, it started smoking out the zorst when coming off boost and its got a lot worse over the last few months. After changing the oil lines it still did it, and the garage took the pipe off to find oil in there, and oil near the turbo. With a 14 year car and turbo, my 7 years of which 3 years was at 1bar, and last 18 months at 1.2bar, it was bound to go sooner or later.

Was hoping go to a driving meet on Sunday with loads of Ferraris, TVR, Nobles and the like around Northants (Pistonheads) but a tad paranoid that I should get it setup again for 1.2bar again, even with my WI I don't like the heat that spredicted this week (well for the car anyway).

Fusion Ed

Should be fine. I would wash all the pipework and intercooler out with de-greaser etc. No point pulling it all to bits and leaving an oil film to ruin the efficiency of everything.

NISR227

ffs, I picked the car up this evening after the new turbo was fitted and the labour was 500 quid (!) and the car is STILL smoking on the way back! They said its just oil still in the exhaust and it will eventually burn off, but I blatted it back 10 miles and it was still doing it. Hope this is the case. Anyone?

Fusion Ed

This is why I said to wash out all the pipework. To be honest however after 10 miles i would have expected most of it to have cleared.