Do i need a new turbo?

C

charlie

I've got a bit of a situation with my turbo and im wondering if you knowledgeable *cough* guys could shed some light on the situation for me.

I'm currently running 1bar boost controlled with a blitz DSBC boost controller. My problem is, boost is dropping off to 0.8 bar at high revs and im wondering what the cause would be?

I have 3 ideas

1) my boost controler is set as a duty level and not a boost level. So rather than setting up for 1 bar, i'm setting as 47% turbo duty. im guessing 47% is good enough to make the boost low down, but won't do the job further up the range?

2) My turbo is at the end of it's life and will not make the desired boost.

3) My actuator is on its way out

any suggestions? Cheers, Charlie

C

Cashpoint

From the sound of it the turbo is on the way out. The first turbo on my R lasted to 70k miles and the second to 152K miles so if your running higher boost and your car has around 70K then time to change

C

charlie

ok, how much am i looking at edd?

Want to be able to hold 1-1.2bar, my car's only on about 55k miles though, and from the condition i would say it seems genuine. Still i doubt it is, soooo new turbo me up 8)

ashills

ive got exactly the same turbo as Edd for sale if ur interested
3 months old very little mileage (under 2000)
500 quid

C

charlie

oops- forgot to say.

My downpipe has been dented quite a bit (not by me), its a 2.5inch item. I just wondered if that would cause a problem by restricting flow?

ashills

its a T28 roller bearing turbo with uprated oil seals rated upto 1.2-3 bar
very fast spool up and only been on car a few months with very low mileage

J

JamesB

I was reading about ver 7 sti's in an aussie fast fours tech guide. it was about fitting new bolt on turbs kits and the guys doing r&d say that the turb on them ALWAYS drop boost at max rpm. Apparently max boost is between 4500 and 6000rpm but after that they levels off to approx 80% of max. Dunno if this is just the sti - my mates got a 500rwhp gtr which does the same. Hope that helps (and maybe saves you a couple bucks on replacing)

M

memski

I'm wondering if mine is on the way out... the thing is it holds 1.4bar all the way to redline :shock: I get some grey smoke on really high rev gearchanges which suggests it may need a rebuild/upgrade. Standard T28 afaik.

C

charlie

havent got the money to hand at the mo, so i'm gonna have to say no for now.