Det sensor or Turbo replace

PulsarLee

Guys,

Looking for some advise, my R feels flat and has a slight backfire at low revs when changing gear. Also smokes on over-run and when changing gear. Showing code 34 too.:(

The car seems to hold boost well though and shows a constant 0.7 - 1 bar when on my boost gauge depending on what I set it at. Is it usual for the boost still to show even when the turbo is obviously letting oil past the journal bearings?? Also, couild this make the code 34 show?

Im not sure weather to replace the det sensor first of the recon tubby?? any ideas / suggestions?

And last but not least :-D what turbo options are there that are a direct bolt on with no modifications needed??

Thanks guys

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's a lot cheaper to do a DET sensor than a turbo.

If you're going to run anything other than a standard turbo you'd probably need to get it remapped. - I'm not an expert, but I'd guess you could get away with most of the T28 frame turbos at a push; as long as they flow a similar volume of air and a similar pressure.

Is it definitely the turbo? I get a backfire on gear change and lately mine had been feeling a bit flat, but there's definitely no smoke coming out of it; I figured I've got a boost leak somewhere because it's fine until it makes positive pressure (and it's worse when it's warm).

johnny gtir

i use a garret ie gt2871rs brilliant turbo fast spool up supposed to flow 440 but mine will be 400 no more. super responsive ideal if you just want a upgrade on the standard turbo bolts straight on and is roller bearing

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I get a backfire on gear change and lately mine had been feeling a bit flat, but there's definitely no smoke coming out of it; I figured I've got a boost leak somewhere because it's fine until it makes positive pressure (and it's worse when it's warm).
So I re-did all my vacuum lines... and it wasn't much better.
What do I find when I do the fault code test?
:doh:

Det sensor ordered. :roll:

Have you sorted yours out yet?

PulsarLee

nope not yet pobody. been a bit busy. but need to order a new det sensor, where u get yours? as im a bit baffled about all the different on line varients. seems u can buy one from £5 - £200

do you have a fmic as i still have all the damm Y brackets and top mount

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I decided that for half the money I could wait for one from the US. - Nissan used the same part (22060-30P00) in a series of vehicles so it's the same part for any of the SR20DE(T) engines, plus a host of others.

I don't have the Y bracket or a top mount. I also have quite small hands and a picture of where my DET sensor was when I had the engine out.

Here's hoping this solves the problem, and it's not triggering the DET sensor because I've legitimately got a problem with DET.

skiddusmarkus

I've asked this before but got no answer.Has anyone ever managed to find a different place to mount it that still goves a good reading but is more accessible ie at the front of the block somewhere?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Not that I'm aware.

I think people have tried other spots, but really it needs to be between cylinders two and three (to be listening to the block equally). Plus it needs to be on the block (listening to the cylinders) rather than say the head. - The only other spot would be on the other side of the engine, but then it's likely to get heat damage.

Of course this might all be theory rather than truth, but I'm not willing to risk damaging my engine to find out. ;-)

Braveheart

I've asked this before but got no answer.Has anyone ever managed to find a different place to mount it that still goves a good reading but is more accessible ie at the front of the block somewhere?
How many owners have had to change the sensor more than once?
Over the years (10+) , they seem to perish and break down.
I'd be inclined to leave it where it is if it means changing it once every 10 years or more!

PulsarLee

Hi Pobody,

im assuming you have ordered your det sensor on ebay? Could you post the link fella as id like to order one up. :thumbsup:

Also, looking for a bit of turbo advice, .. took the air filter flexi pipe off the front of my turbo so i could remove the 2 bolts and check for play in the shaft. However, inside the flexi air filter pipe, there was quite allot of oil... should there be any oil in here? im guessing it has come from the rocker breather.. is this normal? what would cause this and will this be why my car seems to boost ok but smokes on over run and gear change? - dont wana but a turbo if its just going to get full of oil.:cry:

cheers,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You just need to click on the bit that says "from the US".

My inlet pipework is definitely not full of oil, but the inside of it is definitely smeared with the stuff. It's not pooling anywhere, but you'd get it over your hands if you put your fingers in there. - I figure it doesn't hurt the turbo to get a bit of oil on the compressor.

Do you still have the PCV connected? I don't, and accept that this means any crank case gases (including oil spray) will go into the inlet pipework.
How full of oil is the engine? If it's too full it has to go somewhere... usually out one of the breathers.
What's interesting is that it sounds like the oil is burning when the engine is under vacuum rather than boost.

How are your plugs? I think mine look ok - a little dirty on the thread, but the tip looks good and that orangey colour is indicative that it's pretty stiochiometric.

PulsarLee

Thanks Pobody,

My plugs look similar to yours - perhaps a little whiter...
Please advise what the PCV is as im not too experienced with the engine just yet...... My is pretty much std apart from the boost controller, exhaust and air filter,

Im a bit worried now you mention about the car burning oil on vacum?? any ideas what this means??

had a problem with fuel starvation previously due to a bad connection to the fuel pump.

thanks,

Lee

skiddusmarkus

How many owners have had to change the sensor more than once?
Over the years (10+) , they seem to perish and break down.
I'd be inclined to leave it where it is if it means changing it once every 10 years or more!
I've had my car 10 years so for me it could have needed changing twice ;). When my engine was out I looked at where it was and figured it would be a good time to change the position but didn't know where to.Kind of like it being a good time to remove the y bracket, aircon, clean shit up etc.Prevention rather than cure.
I have a knocklink on the car with an additional vauxhall(IIRC) knock sensor but it doesn't appear to be doing anything and is not at the top of my jobs do atm,