Daughterboards and mapping stock ECU

CruiseGTi-R

Who on here uses the standard ECU, with a daughterboard and maps their own EPROMS?

Have seen a fair bit of free software recently which can be used to play with the oe maps, practically just like any other aftermarket ECU does.

Daughterboards cost about £80 including a standard gti-r map so it works straight away. Looks like you then just use the free software (written by various 300zx / S14 / S13 etc owners) to tune the ecu.

They use the Consult software (again, I think free versions of this are available) to datalog the car to see what the maps do.

Just wondered why more people don't do this, what the drawbacks are?

CruiseGTi-R

Anyone seen the bikirom software??

Uses USB connection straight to laptop to fiddle with maps, also has launch control and flatshifting (all on stock ecu...)

Looks like you can also flick between different maps, race map, valet map, town map etc...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Bikirom rings a bell but I would have seen a v. old version.

I last looked at programmable daughter boards about 2 years ago. The only disadvantage I saw was lack of UK support. In Oz, everyone seemed to be doing it.

I downloaded a few tools at the time from Japan that were developmental but did everything you might expect. They even used EEPROM's so you could flash in situ or store 4 maps and select through a toggle.

The bottom line for me was support in UK and that I didn't want to map the car myself, as the cost of the engine far out weighs the cost of the management I went down the dull PFC route that has also not exactly been plug and play for me.

Jim

CruiseGTi-R

Yeah its the same sort of thinking I'm going through at the moment.

PFC is good and all but £££. Emanage is capable and not very much £££, but becomes more expensive by the time you add a few extra outputs and monitoring tools so you can street tune.

The bikirom is used by a few S14 UK fellas, but as you say, not much uk support. Whats encouraging is the buzz on a couple of forums on the bikiroms and related software, so support feels like its there.

They're simple to install, and this badbiki chap in Oz supplies his daughterboard (4 switchable maps, USB, live editing/map tracing etc) with Consult software interface which can pull maps off and datalog etc.

All seems too good to be true for the price (AU$299, about £130 odd).

Mapping wise my approach is that anyone good at mapping could understand the software, its all the same parameters which pfc and emanage use.

Can also upload your maps to the forums and people comment on them, and share maps and stuff, quite cool.

paz

CruiseGTi-R said:
Who on here uses the standard ECU, with a daughterboard and maps their own EPROMS?

Have seen a fair bit of free software recently which can be used to play with the oe maps, practically just like any other aftermarket ECU does.

Daughterboards cost about £80 including a standard gti-r map so it works straight away. Looks like you then just use the free software (written by various 300zx / S14 / S13 etc owners) to tune the ecu.

They use the Consult software (again, I think free versions of this are available) to datalog the car to see what the maps do.

Just wondered why more people don't do this, what the drawbacks are?
See here fella...

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40661&highlight=

Paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
like I said, its been a few yers since I last looked and things look like they're improving. why not be a pioneer :)