Cylinder Head Removal

Hi,

Done a bit of searching around on the site, about removing the head with the engine in situ!! Read a few posts about it being possible, but how hard is it? A day or more etc.

I had the engine out 4 years ago, dont really want to do the whole thing again :) I stupidly left the Y bracket on as well, just to make this job harder!!

Is there a how to guide that ive missed?

Only want to take it off to check vacuum pipes, valve seats and to try and cure the 1500rpm tick over prob! just a bit of a tinker really, something to play with in the garage with the stupid dark nites drawiing in now!

Thanks

Gaz

nathan

its not hard at all m8 will be a bit harder with the y bracket but you should do it in a afternoon easly

B

briitts

My tip is to just take the engine and box complete!

I've done both a number of times and I fucking hate it. I hate it more than X Factor, Confused.com advert, dark chocolate, tailgaters, sheep with those little dangle berry poo's and fish.

Also, give you time to do other stuff. Like er, clean it.

PulsarLee

Hi guys

does anyone know if there is a step by step guide on removing the head with the engine in place?

would be a massive help

Cheers:thumbsup:

nex

I did mine in situ, also replaced the oil pump in situ too.

having the bracket on certainly made things difficult and I did end up just cutting one of the water pipes as I just couldnt get to the clips.

While it was off i extended all the sensor wires on the inlet to make it easier next time and replaced some of the clips with jubilees. I think if I needed to do it again on a car with everything still attached I would just drop the engine.

red reading

i have to drop the engine to get the head off as my hand's dont fit in the manifold area to disconnect the pipe's (sausage finger's)

andygtir

If you're only trying to solve the high idle, before you take such drastic action, try filing down the throttle stops below the plenium so that the butterflies close a bit more. I it took me ages to solve mine (and plenty of replaced parts) in the end it was down to worn butterflies.

PulsarLee

guys,

ive removed my yubby and exhaust manifold and a few other bits to get to removing the head gasket. next step will be the belts & chain. Anyone know where best to start with the removal / loosening of the belts and chain etc.

thanks,

Lee