coolant keeps boiling URGENT

As above, there's no sign of leakage, cooling fan works ok, even after a short drive the engine temp is almost on max and the oil temp is running at about 110 deg. Open up the bonnet and you can see and hear the coolant bubbling away. I was thinking water pump...?

paz

Could be water pump, or a coolant leak elsewhere which is either coming out as steam or dropping onto another part of the engine.

A popular leaking spot is the thermostat, at the front of the block, the clamp can work its way loose or shit can build up under the pipe - have a look there.

Paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Is you radiator warm too? If its a water pump then that would be cold whilst engine is boiling.

Couls also be HG or a failed thermostat.

Thermostat is quickest and cheapest to fix ;-)

Remove thermostat and see if you still have the problem. If not, buy a new one and problem solved.

J

justin666

Any oil in the water or water in the oil.??? Possibly Headgasket :cry: ???

As everyone else will say just check for obvious leaks anywhere, try a thermostat change as its a cheap one and go from there.

When my water pump died it started to leak but to start off with it was only very slight and I didnt notice it for ages!! I had the same symptoms with the car boiling up but no obvious signs of leakage anywhere. Then one day the water was litterally just flowing out of the waterpump housing making it quite easy to spot.

J.

Last edited by a moderator:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Could also be a simple air lock, this could have be caused a by a small leak trapping air but will help determine the cause.

Bleeding the system is also free and a good place to start.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Cambridge_pulsar said:
Thanks it's definitely not leaking anywhere as far as I can tell, is there a way to test the water pump...?
its normally the water pump gasket that fails before the pump but if the pump has failed you can often hear it give a tinny rattle. Unfortunately on the R, tinny rattles are everywhere.

Use a stethescope or a long wooden stick with a yougurt carton on the end to isolate the noise.

Check your water level in your radiator as well as in the header tank

N

Nelson

(cambridge pulsar) There's no sign of water in the oil or vice versa, have just tried replacing the thermostat and that hasn't made any difference so it's off to the garage...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Had you done any work on the cooling system before this happened? If you had split the system at all then I'd suggest an air lock, if it just started then I'd suspect the water pump.

N

Nelson

No but if the coolant level has dropped too low would it then draw in air and create an air lock?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you bleed the cooling system after you changed the thermostat? There's a bleed screw on the block near it.

warringtonjack

Just thought i'd mention, that this was the problem i had recently and it turned out to be a cold spot / blockage in the radiator block. It meant the coolant wasnt being cooled and was boiling back out the expansion bottle. Apparently, our rads are fairly notorious for getting blockages. :s