Considering a GTi-R for Time Attack

P

Peter P

Hey Guys,

I've read the posts and done some searching before I put this thread up as don't want tp annoy everyone with reposts! ;-)

I get the impression Time Attack isn't a very well perceived sport for some on here but I am not only a fan, I work the pits for Garage Whifbitz and support Steve Linton who drives one of the two Supras we are running this year.

All i'd say (my 2p worth and not a judgement!) is Time Attack is what you make of it, we realise the Supra is never going to be on the podium (unless they change it into specific classes as we requested and lots of people want) being heavier and RWD, we do it to be different and enjoy the atmosphere/spirit which anyone who attends will vouch does exist!

I am hoping to start a long-term project car and would love to do a GTI-R as I think they look the business and with the right mods, will be great fun to drive. Appart from the excess weight some say these have at the front, and the interwarmer, are there other key areas that you guys would suggest I look into?

I won't be winning races but I'll enjoy the build process and flying the Pulsar GTI-R flag as these are very underrated IMHO.

It'll be a fun track car anyway as I want to start doing these as they are brillant fun! 8)

Can anyone interested in helping me with any advice good or bad please PM me or e-mail me direct at peter.payne@xchanging.com

Suggested mods, setup info, good base donor car etc any and all help would really be appreciated guys and thanks in advance for your help.

:-D Peter

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I like the idea of Time Attack.. I was in fact meant to be in the very first one.. Problem being that its still at the tunner waiting to be finshed..

I will be entering just as soon as I get it back..

For a Time Attack car, I would look at everything really..

Brakes, Suspension, Gearbox, Engine, Turbo..

There are various lightweight pannels now available which i would also take a look at.. I guess it all depends on how much money you want to throw at it..

Rishi

warringtonjack

I think Time Attack is an excellent use of an R. Just dont mention drifting! For time attack I would say that improving the handling of the R is paramount, and is primary to getting the best out of the engine. Probably why you see more of em on the drag strip than time attack. And as for not winning anythin??? Why the hell not!! :thumbsup: ;)

P

Peter P

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Had a couple of posts here which are helpful and an e-mail as well which has given me some guidance.

Rishi, I gather you're the man for cam profiles and type of turbo so can you e-mail me and we can take it from there?

I used to run a GT35R on my single turbo Supra and that seemed a very capable unit for that application and was producing around 550-600HP with the supporting mods.

Any suggestions on where to pickup parts?

Also, what suspension/brakes would be best?? I know it's a personal preference, but any views from you guys who've been experimenting with different setups would be greatly appreciated!

Just need a good base car to start off with now! ;-)

Cheers again guys,

Pete :-D

warringtonjack

If you've got a spare couple of minutes/hours/days :lol: , you could do a lot worse than read through some of Jim's (campbellju) posts on suspension set up. ;)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I was accepted into this years TA (lord know why, but they said yes). :roll:

I commend anyone that wants to compete in the event as no-one has yet actually driven in it with a GTiR. I have my reservations about the TA methods but if you feel like it’s going to be worth it then do it.

My biggest issue was time and money. As I self funded my car and its development my budget was sufficient to withstand the entrance fee, completing my performance changes, suspension, cage etc etc,
However there was so many other hidden costs for the 2008 series over the 2007 it was detrimental to what I had initially budgeted for.
Not only that, if felt it was left far too late to let me know if I was in or not. As I was in the dark about being accepted I didn’t want to rush my work on my car and find out that I was not accepted. So when I found out I was given permission to enter there wasn’t enough time for me to get the car ready.

Time Attack is a very glorified within its competition. If your doing it for your own personal enjoyment then I’m sure it’ll still be worth it for a laugh (a very expensive laugh as I started to learn :der: ) but if you’ve got backing from Whifbitz and sponsorship then you’ll have much more of enjoyment.
The more I did my research into TA I found that it is not about the drivers or the actual “sport” just a rolling advertisement system for companies and tuners!

I say good luck to you and I hope that you or whoever plans to attempt TA in 2009 has good backing with money and/or sponsorship and a well tuned motor.
The effort that goes into preparing a car for the event is worth a nod towards!
:nod:

:-D

P

Peter P

Again a huge thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Will look into the links provided and am talking stuff through with Rishi via e-mail.

Any and all further links, suggestions etc gratefully accepted! ;-)

Have made my descision to do a GTI-R now so that's phase 1 but as the costs involved are huge this will be a long standing project so don't expect to see anything for a while!!! :roll:

I'm going to take my time with this one and get it right with as much help and info as possible to give it the best chances possible and being the family man I am now, the mortgage and other half will come first so it'll be a case of as and when!

Thanks again everyone who's shown some interest and support and i'll be in touch!

Cheers.

Peter :-D

noriek2003

personally, if i was in your situation with being a family man i wouldn't waste your time with a gtir for time attack, or asking rishi how to spec one ;) :lol:

if it was me i'd get an early evo (similar price to a gtir) but with far more aftermarket parts available off the shelf at very good price. You can infact, build a very well spec'd early evo without using any other site than us fleabay and other than worrying about the crank going walkies you'd probably have less problems with the car when its finished and running

P

Peter P

Probably true although as I said I'm keen to do something different to the norm and the Evo whether early or late model has and is being done to death in Time Attack and track days! :roll:

Don't get me wrong, great cars but where's the challenge in making one go fast or handle well when so many have done it already?

The Pulsar GTi-R is a blank canvas in comparison with mainly quarter mile accredations to it's name but no real circuit success in entry level motorsport anyway.

The family ties only mean this will be a lengthy project with funds being used when available but the research can begin in earnest and hopefully the end result will justify the wait! ;-) :-D

My mind is made up as I like the peeps here and the fact a moderator has the time of day for a newbie is in my opinion a huge plus!

Thanks again all (Rishi especially) and i'll keep in touch!

Pete 8)

boucherie

just out of interest whereabouts in the country are you as if your anywhere near the east of england then theres a RR day on 4th May at engine advantages in witham if you wanted to come over and see what a few people have done with there R's so you can start to get an idea of what sort of power figures are available with which mods!

P

Peter P

Hi.

I'd have loved to pop along as i'm based in Kent so not far from me but I have my son this weekend (only just turning 5 so not quite car mad like me just yet!).

I'll be spending plenty of time going through threads and in and out of peeps garages to see what you've all been up to! ;-)

If people have any do's and dont's as far as their experiences with certain setups or parts then drop me a PM or e-mail me directly at: peter.payne@xchanging.com

Can't stress again how refreshing it is to be a newbie somewhere and get such a positive and genuine welcome with advice flowing freely! Makes a massive difference and really helped me decide I want to do one of these as my project.

Thanks again all and let me know when the next rolling road session is as i'll try to pop along if it's my weekend! ;-) :-D

Cheers.

Pete

Rishi

Peter P said:
Can't stress again how refreshing it is to be a newbie somewhere and get such a positive and genuine welcome with advice flowing freely! Makes a massive difference and really helped me decide I want to do one of these as my project.

Count yourself lucky! Steer away from the 1bar boost and which oil questions, and you should be safe! ;-)

P

Peter P

RishiGTiR said:
Count yourself lucky! Steer away from the 1bar boost and which oil questions, and you should be safe! ;-)
I do!!!! ;-)

And will steer clear of those as well! :-D

Pete

Rishi

warringtonjack said:
And dont mention house husbandry or the ironing championships to Rob (Odin) ! ;)
i think Rob beats everyone at that game! :lol: