coated head

stumo

Damn how'd I just know you would say some rubbish like this!
Damn how'd I just know you would say some rubbish like this!:roll:

We're not going to fall out about it as he's said he won't say what the process is and i won't ask**, is that something you can't understand or were you one of those annoying kids who kept asking your dad "are we there yet?"

**ok, i phoned him and asked if it was anything like ion plasma nitriding and he just laughed and asked where, apart from valve seats would you possibly need nitriding and where is the heat rejection going to come from?

J

jpward

stumo said:
Damn how'd I just know you would say some rubbish like this!:roll:

We're not going to fall out about it as he's said he won't say what the process is and i won't ask**, is that something you can't understand or were you one of those annoying kids who kept asking your dad "are we there yet?"

**ok, i phoned him and asked if it was anything like ion plasma nitriding and he just laughed and asked where, apart from valve seats would you possibly need nitriding and where is the heat rejection going to come from?
I am far from being a kid and it is you who is the one if I recall with the agressive linguage not Moi! :shock:

Theres no fight I just asked you to state what it actually is he does for your £300 as you said its not a simple thermal coating and you said you were unable to answer so thats that, you dont know end off as far as I am concerned :doh:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'm dropping my engine out this weekend for some new parts. Spoken to a good friend in the rallying world in Cumbria that also recommends this process, so I’ll drop you a call about having my head looked at.

GTiR-Aholic

i've got standard engine, want to add stroker kit in future.. when machining/boring will it damage the coating?

Also, you fitted yours back and took it on a test?.. this is an interesting thread, if you can do anymore i'd be interested in sending mine although would like to see how you get on with yours after you've refit it and vss irvine

stumo

Alky, i think after you've seen VSS's head you'll be impressed, it's a better job than was done on my head(mate now has semi-official permission to do it, so can take longer etc and do a proper job, rather than the rush job mine got)

As long as the head doesn't need skimming, you'll be fine. The process coats the flat part of the head that the gasket doesn't cover...ie only a very small circle.

If you skim the head that bit will be exposed and whilst it won't chip or peal off (it actually becomes part of the aluminium head) you won't get the full benefit although at the state of tune of our engines you probibly won't notice.

Last edited:

antgtir

Unfortunately as my engine is standard etc i dont think this whole process would benefit me, as if any work were to be carried out id assume that would negate the benefits seen as a result of this process.

Maybe if you are still able to organise this Stu at the time im looking to rebuild i will let you know.

Good luck with it all, sounds a great mod.

Ant.

stumo

Ant, the process will allow either an increase in compression or timing or both depending on what you want out of the engine.

I'm using it to increase the "safety" factor where knock is concerned.

The F1 guys are getting a huge increase in compression needed to run at the ultra high revs they run!