Clutch Losing Fluid! How do i know if its Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder?

Hi guys, my cutch fluid has all gone so i couldnt get the GTiR in gear, so i bleed the system with new fluid and its still in there at max mark and is working perfectly fine now and actually feels really smooth and good, but obviously the fluid is going somewhere.

So my friend said he can change the master cylinder or the slave cylinder (he would prefer it was just the slave as he said thats easy and the master looks a pain) but how do i know what one is nakered.

I have found a Master Cylinder from japparts for £55.00 new or Slave Cylinder for £45.00 new.

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the rubber boot on the slave for oil inside. Check the clutch pedal for oil (master leaking) Check the top of the gearbox for the flexi hose leaking.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah - look for where you can see oil leaking... that's probably where the oil is leaking.
Often you'll see the slave cylinder leaking oil down the front of the gearbox, from behind the rubber boot around the rod.
The master cylinder tends to leak down the pedal and over the carpet; if it's visibly oily, that's a give-away.

The slave cylinder is about a 10 minute job to change... the master cylinder feels like 10 hours, but it doesn't really take as long as that.

Think its the slave then as when i was bleeding the clutch i noticed on the gearbox there was an oil substance, i will look around the rubber boot of it to make sure, i dont think its the master as when i was looking under the pedals for where to fit Steve Pudney clutch pedal support bracket there was no signs of oil i will agian check more properly though

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No. If you didn't see oil when you put that support bracket in, then you're not going to.

The slave cylinder is literally two bolts holding it down and a banjo bolt for the hydraulic line.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine; it's a blueprint part?
To be honest, you'll probably find there's nothing wrong with the bore or the piston, and that the unit could just be rebuilt with new seals. Unfortunately it will take longer to get the rebuild kit than it does to buy a new unit and swap them over.

I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine; it's a blueprint part?
To be honest, you'll probably find there's nothing wrong with the bore or the piston, and that the unit could just be rebuilt with new seals. Unfortunately it will take longer to get the rebuild kit than it does to buy a new unit and swap them over.
Yeah it is a Blueprint part, i used them for alot of my Integra parts some seem better then oem spec. :thumbsup:

I did find a rebuild seal kit but to be honest a whole unit is then another new part that has been replaced and can be ticked off the list. Which is never ending lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm only saying that because I replaced mine then looked at it and thought, "I could have rebuilt that, there's nothing wrong with it."

I'm only saying that because I replaced mine then looked at it and thought, "I could have rebuilt that, there's nothing wrong with it."
Yeah i know what you mean and thanks for lettingme know as it would save a few £££'s, like most things the seals are all that needs doing, but im lazy lol and changing the whole unit seems quickers and easier