clutch bleeding

Trip

Another one of those days...

I stuck a plastic hose to the slave nipple, looped it a little higher(1 inch) than the slave and down to a pan (so bubbles can escape upwards). Opened 1/4 turn the nipple and started filling the reservoir.

Gravity was doing the job and the fluid was coming out with bubbles.. So far so good. After spending a good 3 hrs keeping the reservoir full and watching more bubbles coming out, i emptied a full 1ltr bottle and 1/4 of another one..

Bubbles never stopped and when tested the clutch pedal it was still as it was as when i started. The pedal is soft and remains to the floor when pressed it.

I checked for leaks and for signs of hissing noises.. NONE..

boost

trip.. slowly press the clutch pedal down whilst the nipple (oww er)) is open.. do this a few times.. with a catch can or tin or something to catch the fluid..

once you have done this a few times. whilst the pedal is down.. (u may need someone to help..) close the nipple on the slave cylinder.. and then it should be ok.. its kind of like doing the brakes etc..

hope this helps..

Trip

done that process a few times.. My GF presses down the pedal while having the nipple open. I close nipple and she pushes the pedal up, I open nipple and she slowly pushes pedal down. etc..

boost

could i be right in maybe saying that the clutch master is fooked.. its so very hard to help sometimes with out the hands on..

boost

hmm.. have you fitted washers or the alike on these hoses.. i mean.. im not completly ofey with the fitment of these hoses yet.. but normally you have fibre washers or alike either side of a fitment..check that.. u must be getting air in..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you opening the bleed nipple too much? Air can get in around the thread if you do, so just crack it enough to let fluid out.

Trip

Well the nipple is being opened around 1/4 and 1/3 turn enough to let the fluid out. I think its the least i could open to let fluid come out. I will try to seal the thread and see the results.

I replaced the slave cylinder, including bolt and crush washers. Could it be i have a "fooked" Master ? But i don't see any leaks.... anywhere.

jjs

may be worth pulling the rubber dust seal back on the cluch master cylinder in the car and seeing if there is any brake fluid there

antgtir

I would suggest checking all pipe connections for tightness, ensuring no leaks.

Then as you have done get your mrs to push the pedal hard whilst you open the nipple, when the pedal is firmly to the floor (do not take foot off pedal) close the nipple and raise the pedal.

Appliy pressure to pedal again and carry out the same process several times. Do not take the pressure off the pedal whilst the bleed nipple is open.

Unless there is a leak, this technique works.

Another word of warning, do not let the reservoir drain down fully as you will "flip" the seal in the master cylinder which in turn will prevent you from bleeding the system and will require you to remove the cover and push the seal back.

As already stated, its exactly the same as bleeding brakes.

Ant.

stumo

Try bleeding it with the engine running mate.
that won't make any difference.

If you've opened the nipple too much and just let the fluid do it's thing you can suck in air around the nipple.

Just try bleeding it by the normal "pressing the pedal" method.

You usually only need to open the nipple 1/4 turn max.

Empty Pockets

I've never had to bleed a set of brakes with the engine running before, but when we put my brothers willwoods on we must have blead the brakes 50 times, the pedal would feel fine but as soon as you started the engine it would go to the floor, blead it once with the engine running and it was sorted? I would try it as it is easy and free.

Trip

Another word of warning, do not let the reservoir drain down fully as you will "flip" the seal in the master cylinder which in turn will prevent you from bleeding the system and will require you to remove the cover and push the seal back.

Ant.
good thing to check.. the master was dry empty for around 6months

antgtir

Clutch is not assisted by vacuum generated by the engine running, brakes however are (on more sophisticated vehicles like the pulsar :lol:).

Ant.