Clutch bite Advice

Juggs

Not sure if this is in the right section but hope so, sorry mod's if not.

I have recently brought my first GTI-R and knowing that it had a problem with the clutch. It doesn't slip at all but the bite is very low to the floor and it can be a bit stiff to get into 1st and reverse gears.

Looking into it seems their are a number of things it could be, first being that the clutch fork is bent and needs replacing for an uprated one.
Second that the peddle box has broke its mounts and is flexing so needs re welding/fixing.
Third which sounds doubtfull but is just that the clutch adjustments out, big bonus if it is but im not holding my breath!

Could anyone relate to having the same problem and what has solved it for you, when the clutch fork bends does it usually result in a higher or lower clutch bite?
Any help or advice would be ace

Digitalfaze

sometimes if you have a performance clutch then the bite is very low to the floor, my honda has an exedy stage 1 and the bite is basically at the floor, traffic is pretty hard as you have to hold the pedal tight to the floor, might not be your problem but just a bit of advice, my 1st and reverse can be a bit of a problem too, what kind of clutch is in the car?

Spikey

I know im not really local but i can weld/repair it for you. I have welded a few and can offer pick it up. Also it does sound like the Clutch for has broken (common) so the pivot pushes thru which makes its hard to select the gears. I can fix that too.

www.customautofabrications.co.uk

stumo

If you've got a heavy pedal the pedal boxes can split causing a mushy feel to the pedal, if it's just low then there is adjustment in the pedal, it's a pain in the ass (a bit) to do but you should be able to see some nuts on the shaft going from the pedal into the master cyl, there's knurling on the shaft, turn the shaft one way or the other to sort the pedal.

Sometimes the pivot pushed through the fork and that gives a poor pedal, you might see that by removing the boot and lookin down the fork.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd take stumo's advice and have a look at it first; if there's nothing visably wrong with the fork or pivot, then leave them alone.
Same thing with the pedal; take a look, and if you can't see any cracks or broken welds then just adjust the free-play back out of it.

Chances are that someone has replaced something and not bothered to set it properly afterwards; probably just happy to get it back together.

ollydj

Buy or make yourself a clutch pedal support bracket, they make the difference when running an uprated clutch and save the stress on your pedal box and bulk head. If pivot and fork is ok have a go at adjusting the rod going into the master cylinder to adjust your biting point.

red reading

I know im not really local but i can weld/repair it for you. I have welded a few and can offer pick it up. Also it does sound like the Clutch for has broken (common) so the pivot pushes thru which makes its hard to select the gears. I can fix that too.

www.customautofabrications.co.uk
stick to glueing metal together, your mechanical skills are debateable after your last incident, you are constantley touting for work on here which is not what the forum is for.

stumo

stick to glueing metal together, your mechanical skills are debateable after your last incident, you are constantley touting for work on here which is not what the forum is for.
worrappened?

If you haven't got a pedal bracket, get one off Pudney or make one.

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

you are constantley touting for work on here which is not what the forum is for.
And here was me thinking that is exactly what the forum is about these days, next you'll be telling us you have to pay £20 a year for a sticker, a keyring and the right to sell things :lol:

Juggs

First off thanks for the replies! :)

Digitalfaze: This crossed my mind as well as the clutch is fairly stiff i.e heavy in traffic and the car does have a few other modifications so its a possibility.
But as the car is new and the previous owner didnt know or mention it had been upgraded then its bit of a grey area, although the car is soon going upto 1 bar im sure i will soon see if its standard if it starts slipping its nuts off!

Ollydj: I will be investing in a clutch support looking at some of the other posts on here as it seems like a very worthy upgrade if not fitted already.

As regards to the offer of work thanks but i will try checking it out my self first with the hope of it only needing adjustment although i wont hold my breath!
Will monitor my fluid level also just in case the master or slave cylinder has a leak.
Cheers again people ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
whats a support bracket? am interested my clutch is hard
It looks like this:

I think the one Steve makes is pretty similar. - It won't help with how hard your clutch is, but it should minimise the lateral movement of the pedal which tends to be what causes the box to snap off the firewall... someone correct me if I've misunderstood that.

stumo

It looks like this:
I think the one Steve makes is pretty similar. - It won't help with how hard your clutch is, but it should minimise the lateral movement of the pedal which tends to be what causes the box to snap off the firewall... someone correct me if I've misunderstood that.
Yeah, it helps to stops the bracket twisting.

warringtonjack

If it just needs adjusting the bite point, this is what you need to be looking at. I'd try this as a first port of call, but you may as well add a support bracket as well anyway, as it is a cheap mod and gives better peace of mind.