Clutch Adjustment?

warringtonjack

Having had a closer inspection of the clutch pedal aseembly under the dash, I spotted what looks like an adjustment nut. I'm assuming that lengthening this bolt, will effectively raise the 'biting point' off the floor. Problem is, I cant see how to get at the bolt to make the necessary adjustments. :noidea:

If anybody has any tips or advice, I would be glad to hear them! :)

Attachments

geetee

If I remember rightly (been a while!) - slacken off the silver nut (12mm I think) furthest away from the pedal - then use pliers on the splined part of the rod and rotate the rod to adjust - don't forget to nip up the nut when you're done.

It's a pain in the ass upside down head in footwell job but not too tricky with a longer spanner.

Graham

warringtonjack

geetee said:
If I remember rightly (been a while!) - slacken off the silver nut (12mm I think) furthest away from the pedal - then use pliers on the splined part of the rod and rotate the rod to adjust - don't forget to nip up the nut when you're done.

It's a pain in the ass upside down head in footwell job but not too tricky with a longer spanner.

Graham
Cheers fella, knew it was gonna be a fiddly job. Just gotta make sure there's no women n kids around to hear the obvious profanities when I attempt it. :lol: So, it can all be done from the footwell? No need to play on the engine side of the bulkhead?

ashills

yep bit of a pig but do it all from inside the car normally doesnt need alot of adjustment thankfully

mprice501

You don’t need pliers just use 12mm spanner and your fingers, can I ask why you need to adjust the biting point? If your biting point is just off the floor and the adjustment rod under the pedal is already wound in as far as it goes then your clutch maybe on the way out...as I found out the other week, see my other post.

P

pulsarboby

take the bolt out completely or unscrew it so the pedal travels fully, this will then raise pedal to its maximum extent therefore giving you more travel.
it is nothing more than a height adjuster for the pedal.
its not hard to get at (as above) just use a 12mm spanner or socket.
this isnt solving the prob you have, just getting round it in a different way.

warringtonjack

pulsarboby said:
take the bolt out completely or unscrew it so the pedal travels fully, this will then raise pedal to its maximum extent therefore giving you more travel.
it is nothing more than a height adjuster for the pedal.
its not hard to get at (as above) just use a 12mm spanner or socket.
this isnt solving the prob you have, just getting round it in a different way.
Think we're talking about the wrong bolt there Bob. ;)

Anyway, finally got it sorted last night. Managed to undo the bolt, but no way I could get the rod to rotate. Found it easier to bleed the fluid to release the pressure, and then remove the pin that goes through the clutch pedal and the rod bracket. Then I could push the rod all the way down (and jammed it there with a screwdriver), whilst leaving the pedal up, and this gives enough room to rotate the bracket. Gave it 6 full turns, and then let the rod come back up, and push the locking pin back through the pedal. Refill and bleed the fluid again, and hey presto, the biting point is a nice 1 inch off the floor.

Hope thats of use to some!

ashills

couple of other things with twin plates is keep an eye for leaks on the cylinders as they put lots of pressure on the seals and any old rubber clutch lines should be changed to braid as they soon start to swell and blow ( i had it happen 5 minutes away from santa pod lol)