checking the timing

PulsarLee

Hi,

was just wondering if there is a simple step by step guide to checking the timing on my R using a strobe light.

cheers guys

Lee

PulsarLee

Thanks Geo3,

Have looked at about 20 posts re setting the timing and cant find exactly what im looking for.

would i be correct in thinking i just need to connect the strobe light, discinnect the TPS, loosen the dizzy clamp and check if the setting is 20 degrees btc?

does anyone know if the car needs to be warmed up first, and also are there any other tips of pointers i need to consider?

oh, and finally, which mark on the crank pully is 20 degrees btc? think there are 4 marks on the pullley?

Thanks guys.

Lee

hainesz

the marks go -5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20
you will need to disconect the tps and rev over 3.5K twice then turn dizzy till desired timing is reached then tighten dizzy and re-connect the tps... job done

PulsarLee

thanks for the advice, looks easy - cheers.

so, are there 6 marks on the crank pully as i cant remember seeing that many.

Also, i think i recall that there is a section of the lip broken off the pulley, hope its not the timing marks.... If it were though and the marks wernt there, how would it be possible to check and adjust the timing?

Cheers,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

if you have no timing marks youll need to get another pulley.
if you have just the second mark from left which is tdc then set the timing gun advance to 20 degrees
set and lock as above

PulsarLee

if you have no timing marks youll need to get another pulley.
if you have just the second mark from left which is tdc then set the timing gun advance to 20 degrees
set and lock as above

Cheers Bob, ill take a look at the pulley and timing gun tomoz.

Hope the move is going well and theres some light at the end of the tunnel, will you be updating your gti-r- us site accordingly?

cheers, Lee

PulsarLee

thanks hainesz,

ill take a look at the pulley later today and let you know. when i was rebuilding the engine i just noticed about 1" of the pulley being broken off......im sure TDC is there, just not sure if he BTC marks are.......

Thanks,

Lee

hainesz

no problem buddy... if its any good to you you can have it for free if you collect it, or just pay for postage

PulsarLee

Okies Guys,

checked the timing today (first time for me) so excuse any stupid questions. :)

warmed the engine up.
disconnected the TPS
reved to 3.5 twice
connected the strobe light to battery and number 1 lead
looked at timing marks from above (so that the rad was on my left)
found that the timing pointer was pointing to the crank pulley about 8mm (equivalent to about 8 degrees) before the first mark.
when I reved the car, the marks went even further away from the pointer (about 50mm) until i let it idle again where it settled again about 8mm away from the first mark.

My question is does this mean that the timing is currently about 30 degrees BTC, am i looking at the marks the right way round or is this reading about 13 degrees ATC?

sorry for the lack og understanding.

Cheers

Lee

PulsarLee

Okies Guys,

checked the timing today (first time for me) so excuse any stupid questions. :)

warmed the engine up.
disconnected the TPS
reved to 3.5 twice
connected the strobe light to battery and number 1 lead
looked at timing marks from above (so that the rad was on my left)
found that the timing pointer was pointing to the crank pulley about 8mm (equivalent to about 8 degrees) before the first mark.
when I reved the car, the marks went even further away from the pointer (about 50mm) until i let it idle again where it settled again about 8mm away from the first mark.

My question is does this mean that the timing is currently about 30 degrees BTC, am i looking at the marks the right way round or is this reading about 13 degrees ATC?

sorry for the lack og understanding.

Cheers

Lee

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Lee

PulsarLee

Any thoughts appreciated guys?

Also, if I adjust the timing with the dizzy, do I do this with the TPS off?

Thanks,

Lee

hainesz

the TPS must remain unpluged untill you have finished lining up the marks using the dizzy to adjust... once finished simply plug the TPS back in and jobs a good-un

P

pulsarboby

If its around 8mm away from 1st mark on the left you need to advance the timing till the pointer on the oil pump cover is in line with the last mark on the right which is 20 degrees atdc.If you have a timing gun with vacuum advance setting then use thye 2nd mark from left on the pulley and set the gun to 20 degreesAll timing is carried out at idle below 1000rpm with tps disconnected as steve said above

PulsarLee

Thanks Bob & Steve,

The timing pointer is about 8mm past the mark on the right.so about 27 degtees BTC I reccon. im going to adjust back the 8mm until its at 20 degrees btc tomorrow. Strange thing is that before the piston broke a ringland, the car performed great. I would have thought it would have pinked like mad witrh it being so advanced? Am wondering now why it was set at this and if this is the likely cause of the piston breaking.....what do you think?

was hoping to time it up tonight but late finishing work and neighbours are a bloody nightmare when i start the car in my garage........:)) claim it shakes the glass out of their windows!

will let you know of the result tomorrow.

also decided to re insure, tax and test it now as i got a quote of 400 fully comp.;)

Cheers,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

If its around 8mm past the 1st mark on the left then it will need advancing a bit more so it hits the final mark on the right.At the moment you will be around 5 degrees after tdc

PulsarLee

If its around 8mm past the 1st mark on the left then it will need advancing a bit more so it hits the final mark on the right.At the moment you will be around 5 degrees after tdc
sorry, I havent explained this at all well.....lol its currently around 8mm past the last mark on the right (if you stand at the front driverside wheel with the radiator on your right. So I reccon its timing at about 27 degrees btc?

what ya reccon?

thanks,

lee