chargecooling

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
rossdj1983 said:
dont really know all that much about it, was wondering is it any good? and whats the pros and cons of it?
I ran one on my montego for a few years without any problems. Mine running was along side an uprated front mount.

If you ran one on the Gtir, you could make a very short pipe run compared to a front mount. You should lose any heat soak problems assosciated with a top mount.

There's more to go wrong than with a top/front mount.

Weight wise it won't be too disimilar to a front mount with pipe run.

Trip

I had one on my supercharged S2000, The pros is that you can have a short run between blower/turbo and inlet. There isn't lots of fat piping between the chargecooler and the radiator as this can be supplied with 3/4 inch hoses.

As there are pro's there are con's. The system is filled up with liquid which makes it heavier then a Air/Air system. Liquid is a better conductor of heat, therefore it can decrease hot air more efficiently. BUT once the liquid is hot its harder to cool it back. Its good for short runs, such as the 1/4 mile strip or in my case 1minute race runs :)

They combine this system with Ice/Air systems and some also run it Ice/Water/Air system where the liquid passes from Front mount air/water radiator and another radiator submersed in ICE(more weight).
I will be using a very similar on the R concentrating the weight at the back of the car.

youngsyp

My GT-Four had a chargecooler set up as standard. After some very light mods to the top mounted intercooler, it would be ice cold in operation and so, worked very well.

However, as has been mentioned, the disadvantages of a retrofit sysem on the GTiR would far out weigh the advantages. It would be complicated, heavy and expensive. A hybrid frontmount intercooler kit would be a much better proposition, with the only very minor disadvantage, as far as I'm concerned, being the relocation of the screen wash resevoir !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
youngsyp said:
However, as has been mentioned, the disadvantages of a retrofit sysem on the GTiR would far out weigh the advantages. It would be complicated, heavy.......

Maybe I had a very small system on my montego, but I'd say the entire system weighed the same(or even slightly less) as my forge front mount core on the Gtir.

Admittedly you'd need a bigger system on a Gtir, but don't forget alot of front mounts have long pipe runs which add to the weight, with a chargecooler you can loose that weight and probably won't end up that much different with the pre-rad and system full of water.

youngsyp

Fast Guy said:
Maybe I had a very small system on my montego, but I'd say the entire system weighed the same(or even slightly less) as my forge front mount core on the Gtir.

Admittedly you'd need a bigger system on a Gtir, but don't forget alot of front mounts have long pipe runs which add to the weight, with a chargecooler you can loose that weight and probably won't end up that much different with the pre-rad and system full of water.
Hmmm, I'm struggling to see how a GTiR specific chargecooler system would be as heavy or lighter than a bog standard FMIC kit ?!

With the charge cooler system, you'd need the cooling radiator, hoses to the intercooler, pump, electronics for pump, chargecooler, expansion tank and coolant and all bracketry.
For a system that would be adequate for the GTiR, you'd probably need something the size of the ST 205 GT-Four's set up. That's said to be good for 400 bhp. The chargecooler unit is around 30cm x 30cm x 7 cm. The radiator was width of the front of the car so, say 60 cm, as per most intercooler cores for the GTiR. This was around 20cm high and 3cm deep. At least 3 litre of coolant would be needed but, I reckon that's more like 5 litre. It's gonna be quite heavy.

By comparison, a hybrid kit would have the big heavy core but, the pipes are made from aluminium iirc and it has 2 brackets ?!

I think that, along with how much of a faff the chargecooler system would be and that a FMIC would be just as effective, it's a big waste of time and money. That's just my opinion though !

I could see how the small Montego system could be comparable in weight terms though !