Changing shifter rod boot on gearbox

vizi0n

Hi all

I'm in the process of changing the shifter rod boot on the gearbox but was wondering if anyone did this already?

Is it gonna piss gear oil all over the place or is there another seal inside? What about that copper looking ring, is that a lock for the boot? Mine is completely ripped so I really need to change it.

Thanks

Frank

splmum

Hi all

I'm in the process of changing the shifter rod boot on the gearbox but was wondering if anyone did this already?

Is it gonna piss gear oil all over the place or is there another seal inside? What about that copper looking ring, is that a lock for the boot? Mine is completely ripped so I really need to change it.

Thanks

Frank
You have three pieces on the shifter rod.

Parts:

The Striking rod boot, which is the concertina looking one

The Oil seal boot, which is a smoooth harder rubber sleeve like item, and

The Oil seal which is the copper looking ring, don't touch this, unless it it leaking, then you will need to replace it.

Process:

Disconnect the shifter linkages.

Move the Striking rod boot towards the gearbox or if it is damaged just cut it off.

You will then see a 'retaining ring pin' holding the linkage yoke onto the striker rod, you need to remove this pin by gently tapping it through the hole. I say gently because you don't want to bend the striker rod.

With the pin removed you can now replace the parts.

If you need to replace the oil seal you will have to drain the gearbox as you will note it is at the bottom of the box.

The Oil seal will not slip out, you will need to pry it out.

Carefully drill two small holes in the copper ring to allow small hooks to be inserted and then pull, it will slip straight off the striker rod.

Then replace all parts, put in a new seal, slip on the oil seal boot and the striking rod boot and refit the yoke to the striking rod by gently tapping home the retaining ring pin.

Fit the boots into their respective locations and refit the linkages.

Before replacing the linkages buy a set of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shift-Bushin...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59543cab

Jesse sells these and he is from Saskatoon SK so close handy.
hth

splmum

Part Numbers

32859-03E01 - Boot-Rod, Striking (the concertina looking one)

32869-06R00 - Boot-Oil Seal, Striking Rod (the sleeve like item)

32858-06R00 - Seal-Oil, Striking Rod (the copper looking ring)

Tim

Mine is split as well, what problems could this cause? Has been like it since i've owned the car and seems fine so far?

vizi0n

Thanks such detailed info splmum!

I have fitted the bushings already (Energy Suspension 7.1103G, costs 8$CAD, haven't seen any close to that price)

Does the striking rod boot slip over the copper ring sticking out of the gearbox? Because that is the only part I seem to have left right now.

splmum

Thanks such detailed info splmum!

I have fitted the bushings already (Energy Suspension 7.1103G, costs 8$CAD, haven't seen any close to that price)

Does the striking rod boot slip over the copper ring sticking out of the gearbox? Because that is the only part I seem to have left right now.
g'day Frank, soz about the delay. Yep, there should be a lip or groove that the boots fit into to stop them just sliding or flapping around. Sort of a groove in one part that the other press fits over, sort of like a rubber grommet fitting into a hole.