CAM's

chopper

After reading this FAQ - Engine - How to choose a CAM (and every other thread on cams), i thought it would be a good idea to get people to put up there findings with the different cams they are/have used.

Ie. HKS 264's give more torque mid-high (from what i read)

What have others got? and what are your results?

I'm looking for more low-mid rather than all out redline power as its a road car and not driven past 6200RPM that much.

beau

id imagine they are good for 360-400bhp but if you did stick a set in, you will get more power.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure I remember Mr Herring explaining this all before; it's not quite the same in a turbocharged car as an N/A one. The turbo is parasitic, so to get more power you're better off adjusting the cam timing to make use of the turbo earlier; really the only way to get more low-end torque is to have more compression... something like that anyway.

I'll see if I can find the old thread.

chopper

taken from motorsportworld:

piper cams-

Fast road:
Powerband : 2000-7200rpm ; Power increase : 15bhp
Inlet duration : 260 deg ; Exhaust duration : 260 deg
Inlet valve lift : .438/11.13mm ; Exhaust valve lift : .438/11.13mm
(Valve lifts quoted assume a rocker ratio of 1.59:1.)
Timing (Inlet open - close) / (Exhaust open - close) : 20-60/60-20
Inlet full lift (ATDC) : 110 deg ; Exhaust full lift (BTDC) : 110 deg
Valve clearances : Inlet = .010/.25mm ; Exhaust = .012/.30mm

Ultimate road:
Power band : 2600-7800rpm ; Power Increase : 20BHP+ ;
Inlet duration : 278 deg ; Exhaust duration : 278 deg ;
Inlet valve lift : .436/11.13mm ; Exhaust valve lift : .434/11.13mm
(Valve lifts quoted assume a rocker ratio of 1.59:1) ;
Timing (Inlet open - close) / (Exhaust open - close) : 33-65/65-33 ;
Inlet full lift (ATDC) : 106 deg ; Exhaust full lift (BTDC) : 106 deg ;
Valve clearances : Inlet = .008/.20mm ; Exhaust = .010/.25mm

If you look at this the fast road is better for power earlier in the rev range.

Does anyone have info like this for say Tomi, HSK, JUN ETC??

Spikey

Can we not use the exhaust cam on the Inlet side? My Mate is just doing this on his CA18det. Also having Different cam sizes is better rather than 264 on both sides.

P

pulsarboby

Can we not use the exhaust cam on the Inlet side? My Mate is just doing this on his CA18det. Also having Different cam sizes is better rather than 264 on both sides.
ive never tried this but have heard good reports on doing this mod, also by fitting vernier pulleys and dialling the cams in correctly will give you big improvements but a lot dont bother on gtir as its so awquard to do as needs to be done on rollers really to fine tune the cams and that means you have to keep removing the rocker cover etc which all takes a lot of time so can end up a real expensive job.

also you will not get the best from the cams unless your head is ported and flowed correctly (not a dremel diy job lol) once again not cheap to get done!

in a nutshell ive toyed with a few various cam set ups in the past and one thing ive learned is that the 264 duration is about the best for gtir road and circuit setup.
basically the bigger the duration the further up the rpm scale the spread of power becomes apparent

i (first engine build we ever did) used piper 278's and found the power was unusable as it was all above 7,200 rpm with nothing down below except big lag ....these would have been ideal in a high revving type engine or full on drag car from 0 to wot but totally useless in an R which lets face it dont like being taken above 8,200 without risk of valve bounce and rockers flying all over the place lol.

with the 264s you get the best of both worlds, low down grunt and good midrange pull right up to when you change gear which is why i will continue to use them.
just my opinion, im sure others may dis-agree but i just go with what i know and have tried myself!

Last edited by a moderator:

skiddusmarkus

I have Tomei 260s but they were just set at 0 when the engine was built.I still think they need fettling to be sopt on.Plenty of people have got good results on standard 248 cams so look at other ways of getting more power 1st.

stumo

to get the best out of any cams (or get as close as possible without a LOT of testing) always degree the cams in to the manufacturers spec or known good setup

Once you've got them setup you can then go trying different timings on them to see what happens