caliper rebuild..

turbazz

finally removed the caliper !! ok my rear nearside is knackered..is it worth rebuilding? i got the slider bolts out just about. piston boot is twisted the piston has lumps of rust on it. i was thinking of getting a new piston and seals clean the whole thing down? would this be worth it? i mean i never done this kind of thing before or even changed a caliper but am confident :D

any tips or advice thanks

GTI-R Nath

Its easy to change the piston, piston boot and piston seal, but if your rebuilding the handbrake mechanism bit its more complicated, and theres a nightmare of a circlip to get out

Last edited:

bensmith907

Where are you buying the new boot from Nath?

I check my hand brake mechanism by levering it right over then making sure it returns straight to the mechanical stop without slowing/dampening/stopping halfway back. (I'm not a car mechanic though so there may be more to it than that)

Last edited:

j0ff

rebuilding callipers is remarkably easy and worth doing even if you dont replace the pots. It's quite amazing how much shite collects in there. As already said, the handbrake mechanism and auto-adjust is a bit tricky. Getting the pot back inside the dust cover can be a pain, but just be brave and stretch the bitch ;)

Even when the pots have lots of rust and are pitted badly, you can get away with just cleaning them up with a wire grinder... Obviously it's much better to replace the pots and seals with new!

Last edited:

GTI-R Nath

You get rebuild kits from bigg red, you can also just send the calipers there and they rebuild and powder coat them for you,

turbazz

am going to be doing this over the weekend. i ordered a new piston etcc.. is it okay to leave the hose clamp on for few days ??? or will air get in/hose weaken?? by the way i will bleed that caliper after reffiting