Boost Problem

J

John Mc

Hello All,

Noticed a problem with my R last night :(

When I got it it was fine, the boost gauge in the cluster went right onto plus 7 and the car felt fine.
My car was stolen the other week :cry: but I got it back :D and took it for a long drive last night. The car felt hesitant under acceleration. Checked the boost gauge which was reading just under plus 5. I know these gauges are sh!t and I do have a nice new Defi D-Gauge thanks to Matty GTi-R :wink: . But it must be reading almost true. I don't think the thieving little T0ssers had to go under the bonnet for anything. So my question is any ideas???

I'm getting the boost turned up to 1 bar next week and don't want to do it if there is an underlying problem!!

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

John

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
John Mc said:
Hello All,

Noticed a problem with my R last night :(

When I got it it was fine, the boost gauge in the cluster went right onto plus 7 and the car felt fine.
My car was stolen the other week :cry: but I got it back :D and took it for a long drive last night. The car felt hesitant under acceleration. Checked the boost gauge which was reading just under plus 5. I know these gauges are sh!t and I do have a nice new Defi D-Gauge thanks to Matty GTi-R :wink: . But it must be reading almost true. I don't think the thieving little T0ssers had to go under the bonnet for anything. So my question is any ideas???

I'm getting the boost turned up to 1 bar next week and don't want to do it if there is an underlying problem!!

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

John

Check the usual suspects... i.e Plugs, leads, dizzy etc... Also check for airleaks... This is the most common cause of boost loss...

Rishi

J

John Mc

Thanks Rishi,

I will check the possible causes you mentioned and hope it is an easy one!

Thanks

John

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth doing an ecu code check, seee here.

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10984

It might be holding back due to det being detected.
Check the pipe from the plenum to the top mount has the restrictor in it as this will cause low boost.
If you have a bleed valve/dawes device check they haven't turned it the wrong way to turn boost down.
Or if you didn't have one, check they haven't fitted one. :shock:
Also just incase they put any (crap) fuel in it, I'd run it nearly dry and refill with optimax.

Just have a general look under the bonnet to see if they've tampered with anything. (Dizzy for eg)

MarkTurbo

John Mc said:
The car felt hesitant under acceleration
Sounds like the ecu has detected a fault. It cuts the boost to 0.5 bar and retards the timing a bit (that'll be why it feels hesitant)

Like Fast guy said, try the ecu fault code test first :wink:

J

John Mc

Thanks for the info. Fast Guy and Mark Turbo :D

I will check the fault code tomorrow night when I'm in work, although I went for a blast this morning to football and it was boosting fine and felt good again????? The needle was hitting a full plus seven again. Could it be an intermittent sensor fault?

It had two full tanks of Optimax when I got it back before I noticed the problem. So I don't think it was crappy fuel.

Kind Regards

John

mattygti-r

hope u manage to get that boost problem sorted John, give us a shout when u do and will meet up...need my new window first thou lol...or a pair of goggles

glad you liked the gauage mate

:D