Boost gauge

bopper

Right this is really confusing me. Ive just fitted a new boost gauge, it comes with its own pressure sensor which i fitted in the plenium, for some reason im not getting a negative boost reading. First thing i thought was the sensor didnt work properly so first thing i did was take off the intercooler pipe leading to the plenium and slowly moved my hand over the hole, and sure enough i got a negative reading. So now im really confused ive been told it is down to where i mounted it but surely the whole of the plenium would show a negative reading?????/

jsbuds

If theres is a negative on tick over then that is correct after all +ve does not show untill the turbo starts to spool up :) im no expert but trying to help out .

turbodaily

is it an electronic gauge or mechanical? you need to plumb it into the same pipe as the module mounted on the inner wing behind the bateery this is where the factory gauge gets its reading

Studlife

What kind of gauge are we dealing with?

if being a mechanical gauge just T it off the factory boost sensor

bopper

Its a spa electronic gauge, now ive been told the best place to get a readin is at the plenium.

CruiseGTi-R

silly question but is the gauge able to register negative pressure, maybe its a type which only does +ve pressure?

Other than that I dunno. I would agree that the plenum has neg pressure before turbo pressure builds.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bopper said:
Right this is really confusing me. Ive just fitted a new boost gauge, it comes with its own pressure sensor which i fitted in the plenium, for some reason im not getting a negative boost reading.
You won't get vacuum there. It needs to be after the throttle.

bopper

yes fast car, spoke to ian at hiteq today and he explained how it would need to be after the throttle butterflys to get a negative readin, well learn something new everyday