boost gauge vacuum source

colin22

Can I use one of the throttle body balancing ports for the boost source for the gauge? One of those ports that have a black cap over it? Thanks.

colin22

I could but then I'd have to run wires and hose across the engine to the drivers side where I will run the electrical through to the cabin. If tapping into 1 of the throttle body ports works, then I can keep everything in drivers side.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Why not use one of the other lines on the vacuum box on the bottom of the inlet manifold; that might even be closer than the balancing ports.

colin22

So does anyone know if it'll work? I'm thinking it should work if the port was intended for use with a gauge anyways?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
It will work but not the best as you will only see vacuum on one cylinder , take the source from the pipes that come from the black balance box or the pipe that goes to the standard boost sensor.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure I did something similar on an older car and it gave a very jumpy reading as it was from one cylinder only.

colin22

It will work but not the best as you will only see vacuum on one cylinder , take the source from the pipes that come from the black balance box or the pipe that goes to the standard boost sensor.
ya i think im going to T into one of the hoses go into the black box. What does that black box do?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's just for sharing the vacuum/boost across all the hoses that need it; that's why it's a good choice.