boost drops down, funny smell, boost after 5000rpm

R

rx7rotary

Hi,

sometimes when i drive, and only sometimes, my gtir wont pull as hard as usuall, seems like there is no turbo, engine is running fine, temperature fine, boost show that turbo is running fine, can hear turbo running fine, but it is not pulling as hard as it should. Engine is stock standard, and another question is, after 5500RPM the car seem to loose the pulling power as well, from 3500 - 5000rpm it goes like mad, but after that not as good, is that normal?

Also when in start, 1st gear, sometimes it seems that turbo kicks in so suddenly and pulls abnormally fast, again, dont know am I just being paranoid or this is all normal with GTIRs.

It has had recent cluctch and fuel pump replaced.

Does have funny smell under bonnet after driving for 20-30 min, like there is some rubber burning, or more closely like brake smell, but its not the brakes.

There is no oil leaks anywhere, car is not loosing water... everything seems fine, can anyone help?

Regards,
Marko
NZ

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked all the little rubber hoses are ok, none loose/leaking/damaged?

Spark plug gap can cause a problem at around this rpm as a couple of guys have found out recently.

Did you have the problem before the fuel pump was changed?

J

jasegould

sometimes when i drive, and only sometimes, my gtir wont pull as hard as usuall
This could be heatsoak, when the top mount intercooler gets too hot due to lack of airflow.

TBH the rest of your concerns just sound normal to me ie the acceleration kick in first gear :twisted: the car will accelerate strongly between 3000 - 5000 rpm as this is when the turbo kicks in and power will tail off towards the top end of the rev range...altho usualy a little bit higher than 5000.

If you have never driven an R before you might find it a bit weird as its quite different from a normal car......... :?:

Shaun

rx7rotary said:
Does have funny smell under bonnet after driving for 20-30 min, like there is some rubber burning, or more closely like brake smell, but its not the brakes.
NZ
:D If its not the brakes :!: Then the only other thing that can smell like that is the clutch :!: :shock: :shock:

R

rx7rotary

Fast Guy said:
Have you checked all the little rubber hoses are ok, none loose/leaking/damaged?

Spark plug gap can cause a problem at around this rpm as a couple of guys have found out recently.

Did you have the problem before the fuel pump was changed?
I wouldnt know, the pump was changed before i boguht it.
Could be spark plugs but it more seems to be like a fuel problem?
HMMMM , today I tryed different petrol, and I didnt have any of the above problems. Could be simply fuel??? Who knows I hope its just that. I will advise soon. Thanks for your help.

R

rx7rotary

Jasegould said:
sometimes when i drive, and only sometimes, my gtir wont pull as hard as usuall
This could be heatsoak, when the top mount intercooler gets too hot due to lack of airflow.

TBH the rest of your concerns just sound normal to me ie the acceleration kick in first gear :twisted: the car will accelerate strongly between 3000 - 5000 rpm as this is when the turbo kicks in and power will tail off towards the top end of the rev range...altho usualy a little bit higher than 5000.

If you have never driven an R before you might find it a bit weird as its quite different from a normal car......... :?:
Yes its my first time to own and drive an R, and its great I love it. For the heatsoak, how do I get rid of it or fix it, Do you think i need to change the intercooler? :cry:

The smell that comes could be the clutch, ??? It was replaced 2 mnths ago and the car wasnt driven since? Could that mean anything?

Ok tryed it last night again, car goes mad from about 3000 - 5700 approx, close to 6000 anyway, after that power tails off. Normal???? :shock:

R

rx7rotary

Shaun said:
rx7rotary said:
NZ
:D If its not the brakes :!: Then the only other thing that can smell like that is the clutch :!: :shock: :shock:
Could be the clutch smell, you are right, very possible, as I said earlier, clutch was just replaced 2 mnths ago. What you think???

Thanks

J

jasegould

You can stop heatsoak by fitting a front mount intercooler. the top mount works really well aslong as there is air flowing over it (30-40mph+). If you sit in traffic or at idle the standard jobbie will heat up from the engine and when you drive off the car will stutter/lack power until the intercooler cools down.
Theres nothing wrong with your intecooler, all Rs do it :wink:

J

jasegould

Ok tryed it last night again, car goes mad from about 3000 - 5700 approx, close to 6000 anyway
Id say this was normal :? :?: the acceleration from 5700 - 7000 wont feel as intense as from 3000 to 5700 and power will drop off as you approach 6000 ish rpm.

geetee

Change gear sooner. There's no need to batter it to the redline - there's nothing to be gained as peak power is achieved before that (in a standardish R anyways!).

CHeers
GeeTee

8)

R

rx7rotary

Thanks alot guys,
firstly, I have changed the petrol. I used mobil 98 octane, now I use Caltex (Vortex) 96, somehow it works lot better, and turbo constantly pulls hard. Smell is still there, could be the clutch. Will check this weekend.

Marko