Bluetone dials rock!

S

Stoned

Man what a day. Me and a mate have been working all day to get jobs done on the R'

First up was the Bluetone dials I've had sitting on my shelf for the past 2 months. Got these fitted but had problem after problem including thick smoke pouring out of my dashboard :lol: and fuses going right, left and centre.

Anyhow got the problems all sorted and the dials ROCK!

Cant remember ever looking foward to darkness so much. Also got my Sony TFT headunit fitted and mp3 autochanger that's been on another shelf gathering dust for the past half a year (i'm not a terribly motivated person lol)

And then on a cruise to test it all I got pulled by the police for my noisy goose exhaust. Luckily he let me off after seeing I wasnt a boy racer scally and passing his breathaliser test without even making a mark on the scale.

Time for bed before anything else goes wrong I think

A

Anonymous

while its all still fresh (ish) in your mind could you run thru the stages of fitting the dials ..ive had mine just sat here 4 months .. do ya remove the wheel ? how easy is it to remove the dash surround ..does it simply clip off ? the heater flap control cable ...? im told the dials slip over the needles .. the hole in the dials doesnt look big enough ,,my needle arms have a half cm of over hang out the back of the arm ?do you need to take off all the gear shifter surround etc ? im dying to fit these just dont feel competant enough at the mo cheers :p

S

Stoned

Well first off, I used the guide here to removing the dash

http://www.gtiroc.com/testgtirocspeedo.htm

You dont need to remove the wheel, but you will need to move the column up and down. Also it's much easier with two people.

Everything is very simple, apart from that cable which is a bitch. But do whats suggested and tie some wire or string to it and it wont get lost when you put the dash back.

The dials do fit over the needles. It's a little bit fiddly but take your time the whole way and you will not have any problems. Have a craft knife handy to cut yourself some grooves to put the wires out the back of the dash when you screw it back together.

Also leave yourself about 2-3 hours for this job. Once you know how it's done it literally takes 10 minutes to get the dash off. But for the first go like for me and my mate it's best to take your time, put the screws in a pot etc and put things safely aside.

When it comes to wiring in the inverter we used the same blue connectors in the pics provided with the dash. But you could easily solder them in instead

Honestly there is nothing else I need to say. It's all very straightforward even for n00bs like me. Just have a go :)