blue smoke high boost

Thor

hello!

i had fit the HKS GT3037S and my car makes blue smoke for a moment after i´ve accelerator to high revs. is it possible that the oil pressure is to much at high revs (arround 7 - 7.5 bar) and pushed about the bearing into the intake? now i have order a oil restrictor with the 0.035 hole. may be than the issue is fixed?

thanks
Sascha

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sacha, is it on power or off power?

Have you done a compression test?

Is the crank case over pressurised from too much boost then on the overrun you are getting a little blow by. I found above 1.6Bar the restrictor I put in my breather system started creating problems.

This is another reason why I recommended the cams and WI rather than even more boost

Cheers,
James

Last edited:

Thor

hi james,

this problem is when power off. so after i had pushed in one gear at high revs with the higher boost and than in the overrun the blue smoke comes for 2 - 3 seconds and than all is ok.

the new cams are on the way :)

cheers
sascha

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds similar to mine. More boost, more oil on the overrun. The problem only appeared above 1.6Bar and was noticeable at 1.9Bar in higher gears. Quick blast in 2nd, no problem, hard acceleration 2nd, 3rd, 4th. I had blocked off my PCV valve and put a restrictor in my crank case breather and I was going to sort them out before I laid up the car.

Thor

yes it is over 1.6 bar of boost. ok, the PCV valve blocker screw i had order from stevepudney here in forum too! do you mean i don´t need a restrictor at the turbo too?? i have read that the GT turbos needs these because they become to much oil.

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My prime culprit was the PCV shut off valve. Nothing wrong with it but the crank case can't get the pressure out at high revs so I think you get blow

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just to check, do you have the PCV "blocker" screw fitted or not? If not, don't fit it so we can rule out that problem.

Do you have the separator at the front of then engine? I binned mine and replaced it with a restrictor as too much oil was coming out.. Instead I get blow by!

Thor

i have only order them by steve but it is no arrived. i have another separator in the front side. which restrictor to you mean for them?

Thor

i had arround 200ml oil in the catch tank. as i have looked into the inlet pipe i have seen that there was much oil. so is it possible to run without the pipe from catch tank to the inlet pipe? or what i can do that the oil don´t go into the inlet pipe?

frp

yes you can run without a pipe going from the catch tank to your inlet.
by the sounds of it its the oil returning to your inlet that ll be causing the smoke.
does this problem occur when your catch tank is empty?
steve

Thor

i don´t know? i had put them out, cleared and had not made a testrun. so if it is no problem to run without the pipe i will make a testrun and see what happens. is it not a problem with the vacuum when i run without a pipe to the inlet?

frp

if the pipe from your catch tank that comes towards the front of the car goes to the pipe with your air filter on you should remove it and plug the air filter pipe .then let the pipe from your catch tank breath. as it is the tank fills and when you thrash the car the oil will have no where else to go but your intake. does that make sense :lol:

steve

Thor

and what happens with the vacuum at the catch tank? is it possible that the vacuum is higher without the pipe from catch to the inlet???

Sascha

Thor

i have seen that the fuel pressure reg showed me 3.5 bar and before 3.0 bar but it is possible that the car drop it down when the engine is warm..