Black smoke!

LeeSmith

Uh Oh - I have now got black smoke coming out my exhaust, it comes out on idle and also when driving. The car has had trouble starting in the last week or so - i have also changed the water pump as the bearings were absolutly shot away.

When I accelerate to pull away it doesn't really go anywhere - I push the accelerator and the revs don't really climb much. The turbo will spool up, but the car will slowly increase in speed.

Some people have suggested a few things that maybe wrong with it, of which some I hope are not true. I have to wait to get it to a garage tomorrow so I can get it looked at.
Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be??

I have an uprated fuel pump, bleed valve, K&N induction, magnes exhaust - cat back, uprated clutch and some sort of "stage one upgrade" which I haven't a clue what it includes.
The car was serviced 6 months ago when/where I purchased the car at car imports direct in Bristol.

Thanks in advance!

LeeSmith

just done a ecu check & it come back with fault code 3 long flashes & 4 short flashes. that's the knock sensor isn't it?? What does the knock sensor do & why is it sending a fault to the cars ECU????

oh and would it cause my car to do the above???

cheers

A

Anonymous

hi lee,black smoke is usually associated with over-fuelling.with our cars,that normally means a fooked turbo [:(]
hard to see how you`d get a det code if it`s giving out black smoke tho.

A

Anonymous

Lee mate,

black is unburnt fuel - had it on my last alot of the lime but mainly from high accel. if your car is struggling check the plugs, dissy and setup. I have always had this problem on cold but thats due to lightlened fly etc.

Si.

PS we need to meet u at the orchard.

GINGA

Could be a dodgy maf sensor of wiring but could also be the old favourite of the spark plug holes full of water especially No 1 and 2 you'd be best to check that first[;)]

Wanted 16" raceline rl7's

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
quote:Originally posted by LeeSmith
just done a ecu check & it come back with fault code 3 long flashes & 4 short flashes. that's the knock sensor isn't it?? What does the knock sensor do & why is it sending a fault to the cars ECU????

For those who missed it, he's edited a previous post.

zia

if the det is faulty its retarding the ignition therefore
you,ll get incomplete mixture burn,t which causes black smoke.
the timing will off the car worn,t accelarate prpoerly.check the plugs if they are black and sooty.you,ll need to change det or diconnect battery for couple mins for the ecu to lose it,s code.reconnect and fit new or clean plugs.check the emission on a
c/o machine if possible.

zia

may the boost be with you

J

J-GTi-R

quote:if the det is faulty its retarding the ignition therefore
you,ll get incomplete mixture burn,t which causes black smoke.

If you've ever had the car in 'safe mode', what I assume is the default ECU setting if the DET sensor fails (as it's the DET sensor that sends the car into safe mode), you'll see lots of black smoke on both idle and driving. Also when in safe mode, the car feels really sluggish, not spooling up properly and not pulling very hard, so it definitely does sound like the DET sensor has failed.

J.

Willing to exhange body parts for tuning bits... my kidney for a new clutch anyone???

LeeSmith

excellent! Thanks everyone for all the help.
I ordered a knock sensor (£186.00 from Nissan) & I have new plugs too (£55.00 from a local garage). So I will fit the knocking sensor on Sunday morning and also fit the new plugs too.

Do u reckon I ought to use a bit of redex for the car too???

On the spark plugs the garage got me, they havegot this marking obn the box RC8PYP Does this sound about right?

Only the garage I got them from thought I had a 2.0l 16v 4X4 MICRA!!!! WTF???? That's one hell of a micra!! - That's why i'm wondering if the plugs are the right ones!

As soon as I mentioned what it was again they promptly brough out these spark plugs.

Cheers again

andygtir

the plugs that you should be using are NGK PFR7B-9 gapped to 0.9mm on standard boost -these are the standard plugs that were fitted from fatory.

andy

LeeSmith

the thing is, I'm not sure what boost the car is running! I keep meaning to get the car set up properly or at lease buy a boost guage, but thigs keep stopping me being able to afford it! Like things going wrong & because i'm not working at the minute I have really limited funds. I've been told by the previous owner that the car is running around 315BHP MAX

But since it's been "messed around with" by a certain garage I took it too, it's never ran right. Now a few things have gone wrong with it & I haven't had the money to get it set up how I want it.

So in the short - what plugs would be best? seen as I'm not running standard boost (but don't know what boost I'm running)???

Edited 2 say: I know the standard boost guage is only a rough guide & i don't rely on it, but it goes off the scale.

A

Anonymous

you need some s40i`s then.fcuked if i can remember who makes them tho.
with that kind of power you must be looking at 1.0-1.2 bar boost.

LeeSmith

yeah, I was imagining 1.2 more so than 1.0, knowing my luck it's probably more like 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!! and just about to POP!!

daz

where is the det sensor on these cars p.s. blew up yesterday omn the rollers lol running 312 bhp oh well lol

red sunny gti-r (mmmm unichip next and 1.2 bar :):):) cooooollll)

SIR GTIR

mine did the same thing i cleaned the plug's stuck them back in (ordered new one's tho) problem was still there so i grabed so contact cleaner sprayed the plug for the AFM and that fix'ed the problem

/////ALPINE For Best result's Play loud
NISSAN PULSAR GTI-R
Even When Standing Still It's Moving
http://www.wiseboys.0catch.com/