Biggest discs under 16's?

MarkTurbo

Like the title says. The engine should be back in my R soon so its about time i started thinking about some decent brakes so i need to know what the biggest discs are that can be fitted under 16's (Compomotive MO's). And what calipers thats with.

I've already got some calipers in mind, but i just wanted to see what other people have managed to squeeze under 16's 8)

GINGA

I've had 325mm billet 4pot hi specs under 16" racelines but they wouldnt go under 16" 6 spoke compomotives, I've also seen 330mm ap's under 16" racelines 8)
At the moment I've got 300mm (well 298mm) racing 4 pots under 15" wheels hi spec machined alittle off the disc and caliper bracket to allow they to fit properly giving me the biggest disc I could possibly get under my 15's 8) and must say I don't know whether its the different compound of pads or the different calipers but they piss on my old 325mm hispecs in a big way 8)
If you want the biggest brakes possible under your wheels get a 330 or 325 brake kit then have them custom fitted to your wheels 8) any machine shop should be able to do this for you for not alot of money :wink:

MarkTurbo

Thanks Ginga :D

I think the best way to do it is gonna be to put the caliper under the wheel and then measure what size disc will fit. Then i'll need to get some rotors and bells so i can machine a bracket up at work to mount the caliper.

I take it you can buy the mounting bells in different offsets :?: I've found loads of info on the AP racing site on rotor dimensions but nothing about the bells yet :?

GINGA

Hi spec do universal brackets and also bells iirc :wink: just drill to suit 8) ask for their catalogue there in there :wink:

S

str_motorsport

tar-ox fits 298mm and 6 pots under 15" and 318mm under 16"..no need of spacers at all.top piece of kit

A

Anonymous

At the moment ive got 320mm slotted discs with Holden Commodore VT calipers, and there is about 3 mm clearance between caliper and rim. I even had to take the wheel weights off to fit them in. :roll:

MarkTurbo

PKA800 said:
there is about 3 mm clearance between caliper and rim. I even had to take the wheel weights off to fit them in. :roll:
I reckon i might have that problem :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just finished measuring up and trying the calipers i've got under my wheels and i reckon i might just be able to get away with 320 mm discs 8)

The calipers are bigger than AP 4 pots and they are nearly touching the wheels :lol:

GINGA

Their the new compound ebc greenstuff that actually work from cold, wouldn't take them on track though as doubt there'd be much cop for that.

MarkTurbo

I'm getting there 8)

Just need bigger discs now :lol: This is the same caliper thats used on an Aston Martin Vanquish 8) This is the Jaguar version though which uses lug mountings instead of being radially mounted.

Hopefully what it should look like when its done, but without the cardboard disc :lol:

MarkTurbo

kieron said:
one question...

why are you growing tomatoes under there :?: :shock: :lol:
I've been growing them as a side project to fund my front mount :lol: And as the engine was out i thought i might as well make use of the space under the bonnet and grow them there :wink:

JIMMYBACK

MarkTurbo said:
Leave them of course :wink:

I dont care what things look like as long as they do the job 8)
thats sounds familar :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: plus it confuse a hell of a lot of people 8)