best advice on front discs

mohsan

I know how awful the standard brakes/discs are.
I am looking to get performance discs. I would preferably like to get bigger discs. Can this be done without buying a big disc kit set,i mean is their any suppliers with discs that will go straight on with standard caliphers etc. Slightly bigger then the original size.
another question would be what is best,drilled,grooved,or drilled and grooved.
As i thought it would be best to go for drilled and grooved,but have been told that i will find that they will crack if drilled,will find hair lines through them,how true is that?
The reason why i want to go for performance discs that go on as standard as i dont want to restrict myself in wheel sizes. as with the big disc kits,you will usually find you have to run 16s!
Can anyone reccomend a real good front performance discs whether same as standard size or slightly bigger?
I am running 280bhp,now bearing that in mind would you think il have to go for a big disc kit?
or could i get away with some performance discs,drilled,grooved etc
has any one tried god speeds extreme discs £225

GINGA

Hi spec do a 285mm kit that uses the standard calipers and fits under 15" wheels for about £200 :wink:

A

AZ STE

Dont also forget the Dot 5 fluid and braided hoses as these aid the larger dia discs. :wink:

kyepan

Well i have tarox discs (265mm i think) and goodridge hoses, and mintex m1155 pads, and once warm, and they do need warming. it stops really well from sub 50mph, like through the window well. these discs fit under standard calipers and are grooved. But when braking from + 70 its not as good, i think the heat builds too quickly for the disc and while it doesn't fade, when you get to under fifty it doesn't keep biting as hard as a sub fifty brake. so your thinking come on.. come on.. stop stop. its noticable and a little worrying.

if you can, go for bigger discs and better calipers, i have been told the real weak point of the brakes is the pooey single piston caliper. as it applies force at a less efficent point on the disc. multi piston calipers apply the force in a different way.. there are plenty of techy people here that can explain that better..

I have fifteens on my car, and the willwood 285mm kit should fit under them provided they have enough clearance. J-gtir has the willwoods under fifteens. if you want super super brakes you could probably make up a bespoke AP kit to fit under fifteens too as the civic AP kit fits 15's, and it has the same caliper and disc size.

hope this helps, if you have the money to mod you r, get brakes first.. then you can drive faster and stop quicker.

skiddusmarkus

If you fit bigger discs then you'll have to have a spacer made up for the caliper to mount it fruther away.Bear in mind that the OE calipers are a lot chunkier than alloy 4 pots so you may still have to go to 16's depending on your current wheels.
I compared my old discs to those on my dads MkII Golf and the PCD and bell are the same,so I think it might be possible to make a kit up using G60 discs(280mm) but you'd be better off going with the tried and tested kits IMO.

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,i have 3G 10 groove disc's on mine,up until last week i was running them with the grooves pointing backwards,but found they were glazing the pads,so i have turned them around so that the grooves are pointing forwards and it has made a vast improvement.Also i'm running standard pads,only for the simple reason,i bought them before buying the discs as they needed changeing :!: