B/W Turbos

bracpan

hi all long time no see, im still building my special saloon for the Hills and sorting out different bits and bobs as the build progresses..
I was going to use the old Garret 2860RS turbo as I am aiming for around flywheel 350bhp ( its not a Pulsar engine) but just before xmas I was recomended a Borg Warner Turbo the BW EFR 6758. has anybody had experience with these Turbo's as looking at the spec and other internet reports it does look a good unit?
As the new car is so light and small 300 at the wheels will be plenty to start off with...but having the capacity to turn it up as the car gets set up will be a great advantage.
Hope your all fit and well and looking forward to a great 2016 and keeping the GTiR's alive.
Cheers
Phil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I don't know about that particular BW turbo, but in general they're supposed to be far better than Garrett turbos. They spool up a lot quicker allegedly and Mark Shead at MADevelopments only uses them (as far as I've picked up) on Evos now as they're supposed to be so good.

MartyMG

Hi, the articles I've read suggested that, size for size, they don't outflow Garrett GTX or spool up faster but they felt noticeably more responsive to drive on the road. Maybe due to the lightweight Gamma Ti turbine wheel? The tested units were GTX35 & equivalent BW EFR so bigger than your looking at. Also they are bigger in length than Garrett if packaging is tight. Tasty looking with their polished comp housings!

bracpan

Some very interesting reading, many thanks for that.. the B/W does look a good option especially regarding the responce time.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Having seen the 9180efr on a 2.3 evo 1 it was very surprising how early it did spool for a 1000hp rated turbo and produced max power at 7000 odd rpm from memory..was responsive too as is on a track car not a drag car...stock size valves in the head as well and no variable cam timing as was an early evo.