Aquamist water injection - how do you know if its working

S

sacha

I have only recently purchased my R and it is fitted with a ERL Aquamist water injection system. As far as i can see the water pipe goes into the solid air intake pipe at the top right of the engine bay. Is this the best position? There is a switch inside the car which the previous owner said was the water injection, but he says he has never used it. I have had the engine running at idle, under load and i can see any water flow whatsoever through the pipes. Is there any tell tale signs that the system is working, or shall i get the water pipe out of the inlet pipe and see if its misting?

thanks for any help

MarkTurbo

I think theres usually a sensor somewhere in the inlet which only activates the water injection when the boost reaches a certain pressure :wink:

Keira

i used to pull mine off the jet and poke it out the bonnet... :roll:

you could wire in an led that lights when the pressure switch does its job :wink:

A

AJ4

As above, there is a pressure switch that operates at a preset pressure and switches on the pump. Its set to come on at 1 Bar from the factory but it is adjustable. There are two wires on it, to test if its working just pull one of them off ( trust me, you'll then know if its working or not as your fillings will fall out :D ). Only let it run for a few seconds though, or your cylinders will fill with water and you'll never be able to turn the engine over ( from past experience :oops: )

For a top mount intercooler, the best place is just at the inlet to the intercooler, it helps to increase the efficiency and cures heatsoak. For a front mount, just before the plenum chamber.

S

sacha

So would the pressure switch be on the inlet manifold (airbox)?

A

AJ4

nah mate, its a seperate unit, should be bolted to the side of the car or bulkhead somewhere. It should have a rubber hose coming out of it thats t'ed into the boost circuit plumbing somewhere.

This is what it all looks like -

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys1/sys1a.html

The pressure sensor is the round thing in the middle of the pic with the screw on top ( just in front of the metal plate )

And just to save you the hassle, heres a link to the fitting instructions which shows you how the whole system goes together :D

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/system1s.zip

A

AJ4

8)

Sorry to point out the obvious ( and I know Keiron will thank me for this ;) ) but have a look on the Aquamist website I linked above, has all the info you need, it even has a forum for asking questions ;)