any advice before i drop the gearbox?

Dave_R

as above, my R has been of the road for about 6 weeks now whilst ive been looking for some where to do it in the end me and a mate have decided to have a go at it ourselves. I'm going to be doing it with the engine in situ and have the how to guide but was just wondering if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom before we crack on with it? any help at all would be much appreciate.

cheers guys 8)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do you have two trolley jacks and some axle stands? - That's about all you need to do it with the engine in... says the man who used an engine hoist to lift the car off his engine.

I understand the principle; don't take the engine mounts off, and the block should have enough movement that you can get the clutch etc out. You can probably get to the point where you'd almost be ready to drop the engine and box, then decide if you want to do it or not.
Take the input shaft out of the transfer case or it will be rigid against the back of the engine.

projectgtir

Dropped mine last weekend and im glad i never tried it in situ. Which i was going to do until i saw smo's thread about the bastard bolt .

Smo

Dropped mine last weekend and im glad i never tried it in situ. Which i was going to do until i saw smo's thread about the bastard bolt .
It certainly was a bitch mate - really was. Now that I've done it and I know what I'm doing I wouldn't hesitate about doing it in situ on my car again (partly because the Bastard Bolt has been left out).

It's a very difficult job and in all honesty I can see why so many people prefer to do it with the engine out.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah - I agree that if you've had the engine out once, you can do it in situ next time... but it's easier to pull all those other bits off the engine when it's out, and that's what makes it easy to do it in situ.

Dave_R

Do you have two trolley jacks and some axle stands?

yes we have the above. would have prefered to take the engine out but seeing as we dont have a hoist its the only option we have.

cheers for all the advice :thumbsup: will get a build up thread started as soon as we start working on her which should be tomorrow hopefully.

let the shouting and swearing commence :lol: