aluminium polishing or chroming

zia

wish to polish or chrome my inlet manifold (just exterior) and other aluminium bits what is best method? or is it possible to get it chromed?

zia

JU5TY

I polished my plenum then got it chromed.

I’m in the process of doing the inlet manifold at the moment, it’s a big job! May just polish the inlet as the chromer said they couldn’t chrome it, but may get a second opinion on that.

zia

the first section where the throttle bodies are seems rather intricate to be chromed unless you remove the butterflies and springs etc? justy what did you use to polish it sandpaper etc method? getting into the nooks and crannies is really hard !! :?

zia

JU5TY

Yeah I very much doubt you can get the throttle body assembly chromed, especially if they said they cant even do the inlet manifold, still I have my doubts, so will get a 2nd opinion about the inlet.

Yeah I used sand paper, started on 60 grit, worked my way down to 1000 grit wet and dry, then used a polishing kit. Took me over a month to do the Plenum! Its pain staking work!

Autosol is just a metal polish, you could use that to keep the shiny finish once its been polished with the proper mops.

Here is my Plenum...

zia

thats fantastic!! :shock: am not in hurry so i,ll try your way, might even do the other bits.

thanks guys
zia

A

AndrewD

JU5TY said:
Yeah I used sand paper, started on 60 grit, worked my way down to 1000 grit wet and dry, then used a polishing kit. Took me over a month to do the Plenum! Its pain staking work!

Here is my Plenum...

top quality work there mate

thats is the nuts!!!!

did you use a linishing disk on a bench grinder? cause damn i dont think i could take a month of rubbing it like a gene to get it that shiny ;)

JU5TY

It’s been chromed in that picture, but to be honest it hardly looked any different when it was just polished.
Once I had sanded it down to 1000 grit wet and dry I used a polishing kit. All the work is in the sanding... :cry:

Polished the inside of both the plenum and inlet manifold as well.

gtirmouse

it looks really good justin, think im gonna start chroming some bits on mine. i dont know where u had yours done but i spoke to that bloke who has the silver almera with the black stripes up the side and the flamer kit and he had his done at

www.chrome-plating.co.uk