alarms

G

gazzab60

Hi all im after a alarm for the r has to be cat one and i have had a bad experience with the toad ai606 so wont be going back in a hurry also tried a search but not much help.

So i woud like one which tells folk to fcuk off if you want and basicly so no one nicks it to easy.

cheers gary

J

jiw

you could get a clifford but ive had both and a well fitted toad is a damn sightmore reliable :wink:

mattygti-r

Its all down to who fits the alarm as to if its good or not, cliffords personally i wouldnt touch with a 10ft pole, toads are very very good thou

same experiences for me as regards to cliffords :cry:
but if you get them through gap then i believe repair work is covered on warranty :lol:

J

jiw

Gap are rubbish too, i know of a forum user who had to call gap umpteen times to get them to come and fix the fault, they tried to delay by about 2 weeks if i remember rightly, if you call them to fit an alarm they can be with you in 24 hours, how strange, get a decently fitted toad and you wont look back :D

P

Pulsar_Bitch

Yeah i had the same problem with Gap.
Had to wait a week before they would come out and they told me if I even checked the in-line fuse my warrenty would be invalid

Mark_GTiR

I got a Clifford Avital MAXX 1 Cat 1 Alarm.. it's the nuts.. dead easy to use and has a turbo timer built in to it...

Works out about £315.00 but a good piece of kit

Mark

S

stomski

again, i think another sort of database is needed for alarms and peoples opinions.

mine...ive had toad in the past and couldnt fault it
clifford-i here endless horror stories, so i'd steer clear!

geetee

Never had a problem with my Clifford fitted by R Tec in St Albans.

3 years and counting.

Except they set the chav sensor too sensitive so if you chuff in the front room it started chirping :lol: Soon sorted that out.

Had a Cobra alarm in an old Celica before - that was pants.... whenever it was damp, cold, taxi firm nearby or the day had a Y in it..... the remote would not work. All the 'overide' key would do is switch off the siren - still couldn't start the car! Unthievable but sooo annoying.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I had a 24v patrol and gap put an immobiliser on it that wasn't cat1 (as the 24v cat 1 immobilisers are connected to the air brakes which a patrol doesn't have) and signed my cert as having cat 1 so they're a bit dodgy in my eyes but i got insured so i suppose i can't complain.

J

jaygtir

i got me a cobra, and works fine every time.

as said earlier in the topic, it all depends on who fitted it and whether they have full use of their fingers :shock:

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I've got a cobra and I've had these alarms for years and they're excellent.

kyepan

alarms are 90% down to how they are fitted.

I had a clifford concept 300.. it was fitted very badly and eventually died as a result, not before going off randomly every night for weeks..

things wrong with the original fitting..

ariel coiled into a loop of wire - reduced its range.

the microwave sensor - detects people in the car was set up with the bubble to big so it was over sensitive..

all the extra looms for this and that option were not trimmed to length and had been snagged etc..

siren was mounted so water would collect - corroded the pcb / battery backup failed.

bloke who refitted a new box went through all the installation mistakes and fixed all of them.. never had a problem after that.. basically its the installation is what i am saying.. same alarm.. different fitter. no probs.

J

jonnyboy

iv'e got a clifford concept 600 fitted by gap ! been on the car about 2+ year's now ........... no probs :)

cojack

Ive got the new 650 G5 clifford fitted by gap its sound. checked over his work they did a very good job. the sensor wont even churp unless u right up to the car. 8)

most people that i know that have toads lock there keys in whilst standing outside waiting for the car to warm up. Donuts :D

geetee

Make sure all the features work as they should before you leave the fitters.

For example, if you have a remote start.... make sure the engine is killed if you put it in gear or press the brake.

A lot of installers take shortcuts, I think probably because they have no idea when it comes to R wiring.

It might help to take an ECU wiring schematic so they can work out what is the neutral indicator wire etc.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Dan_GTiR

I have a Clifford Concept 300, and I've got to say it's the biggest pile of $hite I've bought, randomly goes off for no apparent reason. It's $hit!!

If I had to buy another, I would get a GT Alarm, had one fitted to my previous car, really simple to use and CAT 1 approved as well.

Dan :)

kevgti-r

I've got a clifford concept 300 and its not had a prob in the 3 1/2 years i've had the car :lol:
i think you have to make sure its fitted and set up properly :wink:

T

Tug

had a concept 500 for 3 years works perfect apart from one little prob. it goes off after having been run in rain. but the latest technician said straight away it was because the original guy who fitted it, put the bonnet switch too far forwards. been told next time i go past to pop my car in and he will shift the switch free of charge, not bad as its been in car for 3 years.
If you do get one though, just make sure you are with the car when it is tested and set up because they do tend to be set overly sensitive to start with and need fine tuning i.e i had my antijack switched off and all the external zones reduced before it even came out from the fitters. Set up correctly, the clifford is a great alarm