Advice for a clutch

Frankay

Hi !

What would you guys recommend for a Pulsar with only exhaust system, HKS filter and a BOV for a good clutch ?

I've read good thing about Helix Organic ? Seem a little pricey for my setup eh ...

I'm from Canada too so finding something wihout paying extra fees is a PITA

thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hello and welcome.

How much power are you making or aiming for? Not too much by the sound of it.

If you're in Canada you can always see if the clutch from a different SR20DET motor is easier to obtain; an S14 Silvia maybe? It will fit, but you definitely need to buy the GTi-R specific release bearing because that is not interchangeable!
Another alternative is the clutch for an early R32 GTR, but I don't really know any more about that one... just that I'd read they were a fit.

I'd go with the Helix myself; it's 20% uprated so it still holds with the increased power of a mild tune (as opposed to getting shredded because it doesn't have enough clamping force).

nickr

just order from act clutch. they offer a gti-r specific clutch ( meaning its a sr20det rwd clutch with the gti-r release bearing)
lots of north american retailers carry it, heck lordco parts in BC does.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
nickr, which ACT clutch did you order?

I'v got the Paddle version and would not recomend it unless your running big power as it's a heavy and snatchy

warringtonjack

Hi !

What would you guys recommend for a Pulsar with only exhaust system, HKS filter and a BOV for a good clutch ?

I've read good thing about Helix Organic ? Seem a little pricey for my setup eh ...

I'm from Canada too so finding something wihout paying extra fees is a PITA

thanks
You don't say whether you're having any problem with the one you've got! If not keep it, other if I were you I'd just get a new standard GTiR clutch in any case.

Frankay

Thanks guys !

i'll check with ACT

Btw, yes i have some problem with it ! In full boost she slips so it's kinda time to start shopping for a new one

I'm not looking for high numbers this summer but i don't want " a replacement one " ... i want something special too !
i'm going to run stock boost too.

And sorry for my english, i'm french ;) haha

nickr

nickr, which ACT clutch did you order?

I'v got the Paddle version and would not recomend it unless your running big power as it's a heavy and snatchy
i don't have an act clutch, a friend of mine uses the NS5-HDSS

generally the people in north america are limited to
exedy, act, spec for in stock items

i am running an os giken super single

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
And sorry for my english, i'm french ;) haha
Pas de probleme, c'est mielleur que mon Francais! (Il y a depuis trop longtemps, et je ne suis plus fote.)

A mon avis, il sera difficile d'acheter un Helix en L' Amerique du Nord. Je crois que l'autre (ACT) soyez plus facile.

Sorry, but that's about as much as I can manage.

Frankay

Haha well it's pretty damn good ! I understand everything you said loll

I think you are right, getting a Helix from your country to mine is going to cost A LOT of fees :S

I'll try to check with ACT !

Frankay

Sorry for the double post !

I'm currently on the ACT website and can't find any Pulsar GTi-R, only the Pulsar with a 1.6L ...

I don't see any cars there with the SR20DET in the list ...

I emailed them but i wondering if there's a trap or i can use like another cars' clutch kit ?

geoff pine

I've read that Exedy are not the best clutch to use ?
I'm really interested in a helix one !
There's nothing wrong with exedy clutches they are probably the worlds biggest clutch makes. The problem is there also the most counterfeited clutch out there ! the only way to guarantee its genuine is to buy from one of there approved dealers . And they don't sell on eBay or the Internet they will not warranty any exedy clutch bought on eBay or the Internet .

Frankay

The guy at ACT quote me a clutch for 591$CAD ! It handles 371lbs of torque

So this seems pretty perfect for me :)