Adjusting Front toe

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just wanted to confirm how to adjust the front toe before I damage my tie rods.

I'm looking at page 675 of 1179 in service vol 2 and assumme I have to loosen the bolt shown in between the tie rod (27) and the tie rod outer (28 ) as this acts as a lock nut. I'm guessing I then turn (27) with a spanner to the desired toe. I do up the lock nut and all done.

Though this might seem a bit obvious the locking nut needs a lot more than 30 odd lb/ft torque to remove so I'm assuming its ceased and needs a good soaking in WD40. Like I said, I didn't want to put loads of torque on to the wrong bit and rip it all off.

I haven't finished my toe measuring device yet but it will consist of a few bits of wood, a bent hanger and a good engineering ruler :lol:

This might sound stupid but my camber gauge (Piece of wood, cotton, washer and good engineering ruler) is accurate to 0.1degs
Oh... and a pocket PC to work out the maths :wink: :lol:

Cheers,
Jim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yep, that's the right way. Mine was either ceased or thread locked too. I couldn't shift it :evil: Ended up getting the local garage down the street to crack it for me, and they changed the steering rack gator too :oops: :D

CruiseGTi-R

Probably quite obvious but remember that as you change camber you change the toe, and also the centering of the steering wheel.

Kenny

campbellju said:
I'm looking at page 675 of 1179 in service vol 2 and assumme I have to loosen the bolt shown in between the tie rod (27) and the tie rod outer (28 ) as this acts as a lock nut. I'm guessing I then turn (27) with a spanner to the desired toe. I do up the lock nut and all done.
Yes, that's correct. As you say your locking nut must be ceased or someone must have been swinging on it previously.

Kenny

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for all your thoughts gents.

CruiseGTi-R said:
Probably quite obvious but remember that as you change camber you change the toe, and also the centering of the steering wheel.
I was going to let the garage do it but after adjusting the camber and ride height my left toe is so far out you don't need any sort of gauge to spot it. Its not just out its turning a corner !!! :lol: :shock:

This was what finally made me decide just to do it myself. I've already spent 8 hours fiddling with ride heights and cambers. I can't see any garage wanting to put in the effort I've done. My fear is after all this it handles like poo as always there's compromises to what I want and what the geometry would let me do :(

Anyway, I'll try lots of WD40 on the nut overnight and have a go tomorrow. :wink:
Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I got impatient and after some WD40 and applying lots of (equal and opposite) force with 2 spanners, one small gash and off it came.

After that setting the toe was a doddle. I just did it by eye but was amazed at how close you can get it.

paz

I just thought I should let you know that in the absence of being able to actually help, I did think about making an appalling ''have you thought about just moving it around in your shoe'' joke, but chose not to :roll: :cry: :lol: :wink:

Paz