Actuator questions...

turbazz

If you remember from my previous post I was having problems not going above 0.38 bar

I have narrowed the problem down towards the turbo or actuator.

What is the best way of testing the actuator?

Also what is the best way to replace the actuator is it a turbo or drop the manifold off job?

Also would I need any gaskets or will i need to remove the oil and water lines to the turbo. Or is it all possible with the turbo in tact which I would prefer.

My turbo is standard and I have a tmic I have all the heat shielding still surrounding.

Can I completely remove this shielding.

Which actuator should I buy forge? Understand that they have colour springs bent or straight?

what I'm trying to achieve is three different settings with my electronic boost controller alongside it.

O.8 1.0. 1.2.

If you could advise me best spring and actuator

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try and get a foot pump and connect it to the wastegate line. If you can see it, a standard wastegate should move at 0.5bar or around 7-8psi ish

whytie

If you pull the vac hose of the actuator and then take it a quick spin it should run unlimited boost, this will rule out if the turbo or actuator is fecked

turbazz

Yes thanks I did this. That's how I narrowed it down towards the turbo or actuator... Can I remove the actuator with the turbo intact

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Yes but it is difficult, you are best to remove the oil and water lines, take the radiator out, remove the exhaust and unbolt the whole manifold from the cylinder head with the turbo on it, make sure you soak all the bolts with a good rust penetrant for a week as the car is cooling down....the best is a product called "acf50" and comes in a pink and white can.