Achieving Maximum Boost?

Smo

My R is a 2.2 stroker mapped @ 1.7bar on a GT28RS turbo.

My question is this - why is it that my car rarely ever reaches 1.7bar boost? Most of the time I only manage 1.4/1.5bar on WOT all through the rev range. It's very frustrating as I'm not getting the potential from my car that I want. Sometimes it does reach 1.7bar but I want it to achieve this every time, not occassionally!

Cheers fellas.

gtirjoey

do you run a electronic boost controller? could be this playing up,
actuator spring possibly....
take it youve checked all your hose clamps are tight no vacuum leaks etc...

Smo

Yes mate, the car runs on an AVCR. Although now you mention it I have a funny feeling I noticed a jubilee the other day. I'll go over the whole lot and check.

Smo

My R is a 2.2 stroker mapped @ 1.7bar on a GT28RS turbo.

My question is this - why is it that my car rarely ever reaches 1.7bar boost? Most of the time I only manage 1.4/1.5bar on WOT all through the rev range. It's very frustrating as I'm not getting the potential from my car that I want. Sometimes it does reach 1.7bar but I want it to achieve this every time, not occassionally!

Cheers fellas.
5 Characters.

R

riske

Hmmm. could be a number of things. could be boost controller, boost pipes, actuator spring. That 1.7 bar is quite high for that turbo but managable. i would check your boost guages first. quite hard too check the controller. What controller you have? its gain settings seem a bit off. to be loosing 0.2bar somewhere is quite a big thing. Explain in more detail and frequency of it hitting and missing. 1 out of 10 it hits or what?

frp

Are you sure the avc-r is set at 1.7bar or is it that its 1.5 and was peaking to 1.7 on the display? Might seem a silly question but some people dont know the difference (no offence to you). Im sure that turbo should hold 2-2.2bar at a push and i cant see 1.7bar been too much for it.
Could be actuator or the avc-r solenoid playing up?? has anything else been altered on the car recently?

steve

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Simple answer, if you want more hp, fit a bigger turbo. You can see at the top of the map the turbo doesn't really hold much above 1.5Bar (Minus 1.0Bar of the Y-Axis to get the turbo boost pressure). At a certain point in the rev range it might get to 1.7bar but will then get breathless. This is not how you use a compressor map properly but it gives a good guide.

Also, if you have a 2.2Bar stroker kit then it will generate higher hp at a lower boost pressure anyway.

On that turbo you will struggle to get past 360hp at whatever boost/cams you run. Again this isn't high you use a compressor map but look at the far right of the flow, multiple it by 10 and that gives a reasonable maximum for the achievable hp.

Garrett show all the maths on their website but it gets complicated quickly.

Quite a few people on here are downsizing their turbos to make their car more responsive on the street and track. Having a stroker with a small turbo will make the car very responsive which some will like but if you don't then fit a bigger turbo. Personally I wouldn't bother overboosting the turbo as it gives a spikey power delivery like a diesel where you get a big shove followed by a breathless feeling. So either turn your boost down, be happy with what you've got or fit a bigger turbo.

Jim

Last edited:

Smo

I figured the turbo might not be up to job! Luckily I've found a 3071r at a reasonable price so I think I know what to do ;)

Thanks for the help guys!