abs

Fire & skill

Vintage member
on behalf of a friend: i did a search first but saw nothing like this.

what is happening is: from starting up, the antiskid light goes out so you'd presume the abs ecu thinks all is well - then he will move off, come to the end of his road and just as the car is about to stop the abs kicks in (thumping off the brake pedal), the abs light still stays out, now it doesnt affect the brakes at all - in fact they actually work well for a std set up. but any time he is crawling to a stop and applies the brakes the abs kicks in again about 2-3 mph.

any ideas?

J

justin666

I had this exact same problem the other mornin. Started car up, all was fine, pulled off and saw the ABS littlerally just flicker on and of :shock: Got to the end of my road doin all of about 5mph, pushed the break pedal and the ABS kicked in.!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :? No ABS warning lights or anything so couldnt really do the ABS fault code check.

However, seeing as at the time i was droppin my car off to have my engine whipped out for a clutch change ive told my mechanic guy to check over the breaks. He thinks it is more than likely just a wheel sensor starting to wear but we shall see.

J..

ram5ay

Mine does the same on occasion, cuts in sooner than you think it should, just putting it down to 13 years of crap around the wheel sensors confusing the signal a bit.
Cleaned one up when I did a cv boot last year, will clean rest as and when Im in about each one for something or other. Sometimes just pull the fuse on it tho, had to last winter for driving in the snow, stops way better. :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
would it be picked up on the mot though? if the ABS was kicking in at 2mph - otherwise guess theres no problem

ram5ay

Fire & skill said:
would it be picked up on the mot though? if the ABS was kicking in at 2mph - otherwise guess theres no problem
As long as the abs light goes out and stays out once the motor is started, and the brake efficiency/balance is ok then it should pass mot no probs.