ABS light on dash

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

im buying a friends 1992 Pulsar GTI-R, its just had a brand new engine, gearbox, clutch etc instaled, spent about 16K on it, buying it for 6K

the ABS light is on though... first thoughts were ABS sensors maybe... but ive been told it could be the ABS controller unit... anyone know how much these cost?

Cheers
James

D

danjcotta

Hi
Have you tried checking if the abs unit is flashing?
It has its own diagnostics and theres a flashing light on the side of the unit.
so many flashes means a certain part is knackered.
If it ain't flashing at all then chances are it's the unit itself.
Don't know loads about this but found out when one of my wheels sensor died.
Will try and find the rest of the info about it.

A

Anonymous

havent looked at it...

but they took the Fuse out of the ABS as sometime the front right wheel was braking by itself thinkling the ABS was kicking in?? so they turned ABS off.

D

danjcotta

You might have to ask a few others around on the forum. But I would not of thought the abs unit could of done any braking by itself. As far as I'm aware the abs can only work when someone is acctually pressing the brake, also generally at the slightest problem the abs unit just shuts off so it must be doing something special if it's trying to brake on its own.

A

AZ STE

Ive had my ABS light come on a few times turned the ignition on/off a few times and it stayed off.

turblio

had a similar prob with the wheel braking on its own was a combination of
worn pads and abs sensor knackered see if someone will swop for a test
Frank

J

Jon

wouldnt let it cause concern dude
mine has been lit for over 2 years now, my braking system is fine.
you are meant to be able to turn the ignition off & back on again & it will flash several times depending on the fault in the circuit but mine doesnt..
I put a post up when i noticed it & it did seem a fairly common fault that didnt affect anything
Jon

J

Jon

tell em it's a light that shows the abs is working...it goes out if there's a fault & they just go...oh i see..
Hiteq just mot'd it for me 3 weeks ago & it passed then also?

jonee

ABS

nice try my friend but it has to follow a sequence to be able to pass.
most people connect the alternater light to the abs lighjt but i never told you that :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J

Jon

i know jonee but i'm not the mot guy :)
it's had 3 mot's since ive had it & never failed cause of the light..it's even been mot'd at my local Nissan dealer so that sais enough about the knowledge of some hey dude!