a turbo unit

Da55l3

ok so its simple really im pretty sure ive blown my brand new standard turbo in the space of 150 miles of having it tuned. (thought it would last longer)

so im not entirely sure what i want. Its currently running 320 bhp so im after a turbo that can either handle this but NOT standard and hopefully wont require me to get it remapped or maybe something slightly bigger, take in mind i have the 560cc pink evo injectors and have no intention of buying any new ones. just yet
i have absolutely know idea on what turbo does what and is for what bhp

cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Surely if you go changing the turbo you will need to remap it (unless it's almost identical to the standard unit). - I'd suggest a GT2860 (disco potato) as the closest thing in terms of size with a ball bearing core.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why do you think you've blown your turbo? A standard turbo will handle it for quite a while, certainly more than 150miles. You might be lucky without a remap, but it will be luck and worst case you'll kill your pistons ie engine. so either do it right or don't do it at all.

Da55l3

ok i was hoping i could of just bolted another turbo on and that was it. but if i need to get it re mapped for another turbo i will.

but if im being honest i shouldnt have any f ing smoke at all as its a new build only done 3.5 k and everything is brand new and was underboosting for the first 3.3k untill remap.

i havent investigated the problem on the turbo side as of yet so just speculating.

Da55l3

i dont know i sent it to turbo tecnics but i think im going to send it bk as should be under warranty

johnny gtir

If it is the turbo check for possible causes oil supply oil drain etc turbo technics are normally very good

gtir_pimp

Do you mean the engine is a new build? When are you getting smoke, after gear changes, all the time, just when you start it for the first time of the day and is what colour is the smoke?

Da55l3

yes its a new build which has done 3.5 k with no problems and running 210 bhp as it was underboosting.

ok so smoke happens when driving normally so coasting at 30-40 mph in 4th gear, doesnt seem to last too long kinda bursts of smoke and then you can boost and it clears but then will come bk, then i think ive noticed it slightly when idleling,

also was told a simple way of checking turbo is check for oil in intercooler pipes.
somebody mentioned it sounds like turbo oil seals.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It does sound like the turbo if it does it when you come off boost.
There'll always be some oil in the intercooler pipes due to the crankcase breather system but I think you need quite a lot for it to be the turbo.

Da55l3

so how would i check as usually i would take it off and check for play in shaft on an older unit, but its a new unit ?

gtir_pimp

Just take the metal intake pipe off the turbo, only 2 bolts, 12mm I think and check for play or if you're unsure take it to a garage you trust to give an honest opinion. I would also compression check the engine if you can do it, compression testers are about £15 I think and have instructions but we can tell you how to do it if needed mate.
Who built the engine? And why was it under boosting ?

red reading

Aron for a guy that knows fuck all about mechanics you knowledge seems to have grown...or is someone else using your login?

Da55l3

ed at fusion built it.
no idea why it was underboosting. i can only assume as it was a standard ecu that it needed remapping ect.
if im being honest makes no sense to me why after a rebuild it would be underboosting but hey ho thats life.

red reading

Cam type and timing along with how well the engine flows will dictate boost pressure...more flow...less restriction...lower pressure.

daddyone

All sounds like Bullshit to me. No offence but if Ed built it, he wouldn't have let it go out "underboosting" or otherwise.

Dangerous Dave

So back up a bit who put the car together?

the turbo sounds fucked to me and it does happen I've had a car here last week that just had a rebuilt turbo from the same spot you had yours done!

It does happen! I think you need to take the car to garage and let them have a look at it. I would even say take it to bob just make sure he doesn't get his WD40 and start spraying it on to your Pistons lol oh and ask for prof of any work carried out as that's another trick.

Last edited:

Da55l3

ok buddy calmdown, i like ed, and i will only use him. i have no issues with him at all.
This is just facts.
This is a problem thats just happened and ironically not long after having it all remapped with a new ecu by ed, who i have spoken to about this and he also believes it to be turbo related.
originally i was asking for a unit or advise and as it happens seems like sound advice so i will check the turbo and hopefully all good from there.

as you would know its depressing after spending a small fortune on having everything brand new installed and thinking thats its no more problems, to then have a suspected tubo failure so soon.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
as you would know its depressing after spending a small fortune on having everything brand new installed and thinking thats its no more problems, to then have a suspected tubo failure so soon.
This. - It's the GTiR waltz... one step forward, two steps back...