5krpm idle?!!

djdoc360

i was driving my gtir to work the other day and notice somthing very odd. i put my car in third gear and rev it to about 7.5k rpms. as i let off the gas to shift to forth, i notice my rpms stayed at 4-5k. so i mashed the peddle to try to fix it and no change. so i pulled over to the side of the road and road the cluch peddle to get the idle to go back down to 1k, then i shut it off. waited for 15 mins, started it back up and the revs went back up to 4-5k. mad and very embarress of my loud car, i drove it back home and took my wife's car to work. im planning to dig into the car tomarrow morning....any one have any ideas were to check or what the problem might be?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Thottle cable stuck on something, go in the engine bay and check if the throttle cable is catching anything.

Big air leak between the throttle and head, letting lots of air into the engine?

P

pulsarboby

sounds like your throttle potentiometer mate! works like a fuel gauge in simple terms, and it sounds as though its kaput.
take it that youve checked simple things like throttle cables not jamming or snagging anywhere, also butterfly in fuel body to make sure thats not carboned up and restricting movement?

djdoc360

when i pulled over i did look at the throttle cable and the 2 bars that link the throttlebodys together. when i pushed on the throttle cable holder the idle seem to go down slightly wich made me think my throttlebodies were stuck open but not wide open. ill do as much as i can in the morning. if not, i might have to take it to one of the car shops here in japan.

djdoc360

ok.... i looked at it today and found that the stopper screw for the 2 throttle bodies bars was advancing up from the engine vibration. know i just need to find another locking nut for it.

youngsyp

djdoc360 said:
ok.... i looked at it today and found that the stopper screw for the 2 throttle bodies bars was advancing up from the engine vibration. know i just need to find another locking nut for it.
Just use some locktite on the thread, that's what they do in the factory !