3" exhaust uprated elbow

1&onlygti-r

would there be a problem using a 3" straight through exhaust system with uprated elbow, on a faily standard car?
i have built the engine with forged pistons, h section rods and hks head gasket, standard top mount intercooler and turbo. not sure what sort of boost to run for max power output any ideas?

Fazz

No problems.

slight waste but no problems afaik. will gain a bit of spool up I'm sure.

If on standard turbo then 1.2bar. More if bigger injectors and fuel computer etc.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
No problem at all! 8)
Your turbo will spool quicker and it will give you more low end and mid-range grunt :thumbsup:

In fact, a 3" elbow + downpipe releases approx 30bhp when compared to the standard elbow (in back to back tests conducted at Nobles Motorsport in Chesterfield).

I ran a 3" Janspeed elbow+downpipe combo on my 'R with an ARC top mount intercooler and ran it to the edge of the boost limit on the standard turbo (1.3 bar - yes it'll run at 1.4 + but then intake temps start getting daft) and it went like an Exocet missile :twisted::twisted::twisted:

With the standard intercooler, I'd say 1-1.2 bar, but best thing'd be to get it set on a rolling road where they can measure intake temps, knock etc so you don't go making a mess of your nice new engine :thumbsup:

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

1&onlygti-r

yes it will be set up on the rollers, the only reason why im fitting it is because im selling the car and it has a standard exhaust on it, i had a 3" straight through on my other car which i was planning on making 500bhp but went drasticly wrong, which i have now sold most of it, so i might as well put the exhaust to some use as i dont think il get much for it if i sold it seperatly

G

GTIR_SLEEPER

hi just got my gtir and it has a 3" mongoose exhaust im not to clued up about cars do i need to cange the exhaust or just the down pipe, im running 10 psi boost, first gear is rapid but it seems to loose power throw the gears.
thanks dan

Mr GTiR

GTIR_SLEEPER said:
hi just got my gtir and it has a 3" mongoose exhaust im not to clued up about cars do i need to cange the exhaust or just the down pipe, im running 10 psi boost, first gear is rapid but it seems to loose power throw the gears.
thanks dan
Is that the size of the tail pipe or exhaust system?

Just because it has a 3" tailpipe it does not mean it has a 3" exhaust. Btw, Mongoose DO NOT make a 3" exhaust system for the GTiR. You may have a custom made Blueflame exhaust system.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I had a 3” elbow and downpipe fitted to my car, from a chap in Southport. Although mines not heavily modified I have noticed that the spool up time has improved, full boost is reached quicker than previously with the mongoose 2.5 system and standard elbow.

P

pulsarboby

hijacking this thread sorry lol
anyone got a link where i can get an aftermarket elbow, as im gonna need one shortly

Mr GTiR

pulsarboby said:
hijacking this thread sorry lol
anyone got a link where i can get an aftermarket elbow, as im gonna need one shortly
Drop me a phone call fella as i may have a soloution. Mine is going in for a 3" elbow and i'm already having 2 made ;-)