280mm standard brake upgrade - whats the deal?

paz

Hello :)

I'm sure I saw someone talking about increasing the size of a standard brake disc the other day, but can't for life of me find the thread.

I did some searching on the web-of-inter and came across a 280mm conversion 'kit' on the godspeed website (I can't link it direct, but click on the relevant link here http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk).

Long story short, I'm wondering if the claims that these brakes combined with some braided lines would improve performance over a standard size item - I'm not sure that I fancy the idea of paying £500+ for a 4 pot kit when my R doesn't get tracked much. Sure it gets driven hard on the road, but as soon as my brakes fade, or set on fire ( :shock: :lol: ) - I back off.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paz

CruiseGTi-R

If you're thinking bigger disks with stock caliper then don't bother imo.

If the kit is £500, you might as well get the 280mm wilwood kit, which includes spanky new caliper and discs delivered for £512.

A damn site more reliable going to Rally Design than Godspeed too :twisted:

paz

CruiseGTi-R said:
If you're thinking bigger disks with stock caliper then don't bother imo.

If the kit is £500, you might as well get the 280mm wilwood kit, which includes spanky new caliper and discs delivered for £512.

A damn site more reliable going to Rally Design than Godspeed too :twisted:
No, the godspeed kit is about £220 I think - slightly more than the standard size aftermarket discs. I didn't fancy paying £500 for a set of 4 pots when for me there isn't a massive need to do so.

I was just wondering if there really is any benefot to oversized discs with standard 2 pots or if its pretty much pointless? :lol:

Paz

CruiseGTi-R

fair one, my view was at it being £500, £220 ain't bad.

to be honest though, thinking about the standard calipers, they will still be dreadful when asked to work hard on any size disc.

I guess the day to day stopping would be better given the bigger leverage, can't argue that, but when really pushed they'll still give up.

I've had brake fade on the standard stoppers in the Swiss Alps 8) chasing my brothers Clio 172 :p . Pretty sodding frightening when they do go. Had to stop to let em cool right down, smoke literally pouring off the pads, quite good fun actually, might re-fit em.... :D

paz

:lol: Its mostly because I don't fully understand why a larger disc only would give me better stopping power, I figured someone on here might be able to explain in more simple terms whether its work bothering with.

As for standard discs and break fade, I've had it a few times on more spirited drives over the moors around here - same result, smoke pouring from the brakes and some serious fade :lol:

Its not too bad if you can recognise it coming, as you can just back off - as I've said, if I tracked the car a lot or something I'd have 4/6 pots without a moments hesitation, but it seems a bit excessive for my needs.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Paz

CruiseGTi-R

You would get more stopping power for sure.

The bigger disc (and assuming the caliper is moved 'outwards' too) means that with the same power from the caliper the lever arm is greater about the centre of the wheel.

With a greater lever arm, the same standard power caliper can apply more torque about the wheel centre.

Thats why its much better to get a bigger disc than bother with same size uprated discs and pads.

The power of the caliper, along with ability to accommodate/dissipate heat are what will prevent brake fade. The pads and grooved/drilled discs help this too, but its mostly down to the caliper.

S

Stoned

If it helps imagine a wheel on a bike raised into the air.

Now spin the wheel with your fingers against a spoke from the outside edge, turns easily right
Now do the same from as close to the center, suddenly MUCH harder work

That in a nutshell is why bigger discs help with braking effect, just you are stopping the wheel instead of moving it

paz

Stoned said:
If it helps imagine a wheel on a bike raised into the air.

Now spin the wheel with your fingers against a spoke from the outside edge, turns easily right
Now do the same from as close to the center, suddenly MUCH harder work

That in a nutshell is why bigger discs help with braking effect, just you are stopping the wheel instead of moving it
Gotcha, that helps a lot cheers :)

Paz

paz

Makes sense buddy, cheers for the link :)

* Edited this bit out because I asked the question before reading the second link :roll: :oops: :lol: :wink: *

Cheers again ;)

Paz