215/40/16 or 205/45/16

dombat

Got Toyo T1-R 195/?/16 currently and they're crap.

So will be getting Goodyear F1, but which size?
215/40/16 or 205/45/16

I have Tein coilovers so hopefully not any rubbing issues!

Keira

i've got 225/50/16 on mine and they clear the strut ok so depending on offset of your wheels you 'should' be fine with either.

johnsy

i heard both were crap im looking at pirelli p7000 but sum one will say there crap lol

jameswrx2

Strange, I heard good things about the T1R's.. so much so that's what I went for.

What do you find crap about them?

Although I don't tend to push my car anyway really. I thought they were better than the T1S's I had on before.

gtir_pimp

everyone has a preference so someones going to love them and some will hate them!
i have falkens on my R,had avons too and i think both are pretty good!

youngsyp

You need the 215-40/16. They're a much closer match to the original wheel/tyre size rolling circumference than any other 16" tyre size.

If you have the correct offset and width on your wheels (I have 35mm offset and 7" wide wheel), you'll have no worries with rubbing.

Paul

John

Should give Yoko Parada's a go, got them on my Pulsar and they rule in the dry , altho there terrible in the wet :shock:

dombat

The Toyo's are ok for the price but they're quite unpredictable in the wet.

When I had Goodyears before, I knew how it would grip through a corner before I got there. With the Toyo I'm never sure. Once it loses grip it slides! Goodyear will slide, but it's far more controllable and you can easily predict when it will happen.

I suppose you pay for what you get.

antgtir

Did you have the Goodyears on before you changed the suspension setup? If so and youve changed suspension setup as well as the tyre choice, the suspension setup may be the culprit with regards to the handling of the car.

On the other hand it may just be that the tyre doesn't suit your style of driving and others do.

Paul is correct in saying the 215 version is the correct size tyre to match the original setup of the car but to be honest with all the mods we do to the suspension and roll bars etc nowadays im pretty sure the size would change in terms of best performance handling wise. Id start with the 215's and go from there imo.

I have the 205's at the mo and they worked well on track apart from the tyres overheating and becoming very sloppy in corners.

Dependent upon use you should choose tyre type accordingly, size is as already stated 215/50/16.

Good luck.

Ant.

dombat

Cheers for the advice.

When funds permit will swap them over and write any benefits back here, ready for use with ye old faithful search button in a few years time!

turbodaily

im running 16 x 8 rota slipstreams et35 with a stretched 195/45/16 yokohama s-drive tyres and they grip very well in wet and dry. also im running tein coilovers and have a fair bit of clearance on them. i think i could get away with 215's if i wanted.